Chapter 9

Frinton couldn't sleep. She can't help but stare at the clear night sky full of stars, winking at her. Last time she saw the sky properly was through the caged window back in the flat in London, and it wasn't as magical as this, it was grey, cloudy and rain all around the city. Frinton can't help but stare at it in wonder.

Keil couldn't sleep either. He keeps tossing and turning, thrashing his arms about. All of a sudden, he jumped up, fully awake with a scream. Sweat pouring through his head. As he looks around, he notices Frinton sitting by the cliff edge staring at the sky. To calm his nerves he decided to go talk to her.

"Hey." Frinton turns around and see Keil walking towards her.

"Hi. Can't sleep either?" Keil sits down next to her.

"How can I? I am still pumped with adrenaline from the excitement." Keil said with a nervous laugh. Frinton gives him a little smile before turning her attention back to the sky.

"Something on your mind?" Keil asked.

"I just never seen anything like this before. It all feels like a dream. It only seems like a moment ago when I was stuck in that awful flat."

"Flat?"

"It's in a type of building that some humans live in."

"Do you live with your mother?"

"Not anymore. I was taken from her, or 'rescued' according to the humans," she said with air quotes and a sarcastic tone when she said 'rescued.'

"I ended up living with a woman who only drinks, messes with a couple of guys and passes out. I would be happier if I can go out but she always locks the door before she goes out. Leaving little to no food and not cleaning the litterbox at all. I don't think she's aware she has a cat, just another birthday present that she tosses aside, completely forgotten." she stops talking, looking at the sad expression on Keil's face. Frinton started to blush with embarrassment.

"I am sorry. I am rambling. Also, I didn't get a chance to say thank you."

Keil looks confused.

"For saving my life. If you weren't there, I would be dead in a second."

Now it's Keil's turn to blush. "Oh. It was nothing. Really it was nothing."

"How can it be nothing?"

"I will be honest. I didn't see you being chased by Queen Mother. I thought I saw my mother."

"Your mother?"

"Yeah. Queen Mother had taken her away from me when I was just a cub. I know I was just imagining it, but it all seemed so real that something in me snapped. My thoughts were, 'I am not going to let her take my ma again. I can't let that happen again' and just fought her with all my might. I will be honest, when I first saw you, I wanted to kill you." Frinton looks shocked, almost terrified, suddenly seeing flashes of Keil clawing Queen Mother's eyes.

"I was so angry that you weren't my mum. Livid. But I know that if I killed you, I would be just as bad as Queen Mother. Keil turns seeing the terrified look in Frinton's eyes.

"Oh, now I scared you. I am sorry. I thought you should know. But I'm glad I didn't kill you. You are amazing and pretty. Hey, you are pretty amazing." he said with a wink, trying to lighten the mood. It works as Frinton gives a light chuckle.

"Wow. You are ridiculous."

"I am aren't I? But thank you for trusting me with your story."

"And same to you, I am sorry about your mother."