Troubled

The boat ride back to the main island was intense, but everyone was silent. Everyone was tense and trembled in fear. Danae was in pain due to her fall, but she was relieved that she and her friends were able to escape the island. When Danae got out of shock, they realized Kahlua was the only one missing. She looked at Malia, who sat silently; her eyes said it all. "Malia is Kahlua...?"

Malia exited her trance-like state; her arms and hands were around Danae. "While you were gone, we disagreed, and Kahlua went to mope somewhere. I don't care what happened to her and that freak."

No one said anything, not even Makoa. Danae was a little surprised, but she thought it was for the best that he said nothing. The young woman didn't want to be too cruel, but she believed Makoa faulted guilt-tripping everyone to the circus. After tonight's events, Danae knew that no one would be the same; the trauma was too intense. Makoa drove the boat to the pier, and to their luck, no one was in attendance. They didn't want anyone to see their current state. Once the boat was parked and secured, Malia and Akamu assisted Danae off the boat while Makoa went off to get his vehicle. "A-Are you guys going home?"

The siblings looked at one another, and with their look alone, they agreed. "We wondering if we could crash in your place for a while. Malia and I don't want to be by ourselves."

"Understandable. I also don't want to be left alone with Makoa. I want someone else to be there so I won't say anything stupid. We all went through hell." Makoa eventually arrived; the siblings assisted Danae into the vehicle. "Hey Makoa, they asked if they could stay with us for a while. I told them that they could." Makoa merely nodded in agreement; Danae looked at the siblings. "We'll see you there."

When the door was closed, Makoa drove away from the pier. The two noticed the siblings getting inside their vehicle. Danae and Makoa said nothing throughout the ride home; they wouldn't even look at one another. Danae was thankful for the silence. She didn't know what to discuss, even if she wanted to speak. While on the road, she was happy to see the small city; it made her feel safe. However, some of her felt that something wasn't right; she didn't know why. 

The two arrived at their home moments later. Makoa exited his vehicle first and assisted Danae to their apartment. Once inside, Makoa helped the young woman to her room so she could rest. "Thanks."

Makoa nodded but said nothing as he stood beside her. The silence made Danae uncomfortable, and when she looked at him, his eyes were emotionless. She wondered if Makoa was still in shock. When Danae was about to speak, Makoa beat her to it. "I-I'm sorry."

His words were unexpected. "Makoa?"

The young man slowly began to pace back and forth as he ruffled his hair. "I know what you all feel, and you're all right. I shouldn't have pressured you all to go to the event with Kahlua. I would have never imagined that something like this could happen. Especially what we...witnessed."

Danae couldn't believe that Makoa had apologized. She knew him to be not only to be a helpful man but also a prideful man. Makoa was the type who didn't like to apologize even when he was wrong. Her thoughts were interrupted when there was a knock on the living room door; Makoa went and opened it. Akamu and Malia arrived, and they went into Danae's room. With the room fully lit, Danae could see the tiredness and stress in their eyes. When Makoa reentered the room, he sat on the small sofa; everyone was silent. 

Everyone didn't know what to say. What could they say? Danae put her hands together and looked at everyone. "I-I know that we're all still trying to process what happened in that circus and I know that we're all scared."

"Scared? Hell, we're not scared; we're terrified and traumatized! How could we live on normally after what we saw!" Malia covered her face and scrunched it up a bit. "I'm scared that those murderers will come after us."

"That is a possibility," said Akamu. Everyone immediately looked at him. Akamu hid his expressions well, but deep down, he was terrified. He knew that there was the possibility that they would be chased after. "I don't want to scare you all, but we saw what they look like and what they have done. They will not let us go easily."

Danae bit her lower lip as she took a deep breath. "H-He's right. I-I also let the creatures go."

Then, everyone's focus was on her. "You did what!?" yelled Malia. "Are you crazy!? Why in the hell would you do that!?"

"Look, it was the only way! Besides, one of the circus workers gave me the key to free. He told me that the others knwe about us."

"So what you are trying to say is that one of those freaks isn't technically evil?" Malia asked.

"Well, I'm not entirely sure, but if they were truly evil, then they wouldn't help their victims. There's also a possibility that the guy who helped me, maybe wants out."

Malia huffed as she scratched her head. "Even if he did what he did, it doesn't change the fact that you let go of those things go! We saw what they were capable of! How do we know that those things won't hurt people public!?"

Danae froze; it was something that she didn't think about. She was so preoccupied with escaping that she forgot what the creatures could do. She then remembered the miserable looks on their faces and thought of the possibility that they were forced to kill. "Look, whoever those people were will probably focus on searching for those things. The creatures looked very important to them. Think about it, those people may know how we look like but they don't know where we live."

"If they do? What then?" asked Akamu.

"Then, we need to fight back. I think we should go to the police."

"Are you crazy? Do you think that the police are going to believe us? Either way we did nothing to stop the murders; we might get charged." Makoa and Malia began arguing with one another.

Danae sighed as she massaged her forehead. "Okay, enough, both of you!" The two stopped arguing. "We all had a terrible day and must rest to decide the best course of action." She looked at Malia and Makoa, who glared at one another. 

Akamu motioned his sister out of the room. "We'll sleep in the living room."

"I'll give you guys some blankets." Makoa turned off the lights in Danae's room. Danae turned on her lamp that dimly lit the room. 

She didn't feel like sleeping in the dark; she was scared. While dozing off, she noticed a shadow outside her window. Danae gasped as she turned toward the window; there was nothing. "Snap out, you're just scared, that's all."

While Danae was about to lie on her bed and try to sleep, the male siren stood on a tree branch near her apartment. He let out a sharp smirk.