Roommates

It was 5 p.m. on the island of Maui County, and in a house in Makali'i, a young woman in her late twenties had arrived home from her second job. The young woman had a medium olive skin tone with long raven hair that shined but was in a bun and disarray; her eyes were grayish-hazel. Her lips were slightly plump with a somewhat round face. She had an average figure with little big hips and plump legs. Even with no makeup, the young woman was youthful despite her age, and many people confused her to be in her adolescence.

Once her car was parked in the apartment parking lot, she walked to her apartment, the last one in the complex. The lights were on, and she knew that her roommate arrived home. The door to the apartment opened, and a man walked out with a couple of trash bags in hand. The man looked ahead and chuckled. "Danae, you're home. You look tired as hell."

Danae rolled her eyes as she entered the apartment and dropped her bag and herself on the sofa. "Do I ever. The tourists from the hotel were from California, and let me tell you, the state should be called Karenmania. These people are so entitled and feel that they're always right."

The young man put the trash bags in the garbage bin and entered the apartment. "Maybe you should find another job. You always come home very stressed and tired."

"I wish I could Makoa, but I have student loans to pay for my master's degree and not only that, we have rent to pay." Danae slowly sat up as she looked at her roommate Makoa. 

Makoa was also in his late twenties and stood five feet and ten inches tall with a muscular build. He enjoyed working out, but Danae knew that Makoa struggled with his weight in the past since he was neglected as a child. He had gunshot wounds on different parts of his body because he once was part of a gang and survived a shootout. Since then, Makoa changed his life and worked in a juvenile program to help at-risk children and adolescents. He looked slightly older than his age due to the stress from his previous life events; his eyes were black, as was his black wavy hair that touched the tip of his chin. "Well, you need to find a full-time position. You may not be able to find it here, Danny."

"I know what you're trying to say, Makoa. I might have more opportunities in Honolulu, but I don't want to leave this island; it's my home. I have my friends and family here. I know that there will be an opportunity on this island that will come up."

Makoa sighed as he sat on the sofa next to hers. He knew that Danae had a dream to create an organization to help native Hawaiian children and their families from homelessness. That is why Danae decided to study business. He knew that Danae was very intelligent, but the finances were the most challenging part of gaining her goal. Makoa wanted to help her, but she was too proud to ask and accept help. Danae's family was poor since they couldn't afford rent and were at risk of homelessness. Since Danae's parents didn't want her to suffer, so they put her in the foster care system, where she stayed until eighteen.

However, Danae's parents would visit her whenever possible and attend school events. Danae told Makoa she was bullied because of her parents' predicaments, which motivated her to do well in school. She got some scholarships, FAFSA, and her bachelor's degree in business and Hawaiian Studies. Still, she also needed her master's and certification to make her organization, for which she had to take loans and two jobs as a hotel front desk worker and paraprofessional. Danae was able to get her parents to get some housing, but her father died two years ago from complications of diabetes, and her mother has other health conditions. 

Without Danae's knowledge, he helped her mother to pay some of her bills and medication. He and Danae were childhood friends since they attended the same elementary, middle, and high school. They eventually became roommates, but Makoa had another secret: he was in love with her. He didn't know if she felt the same way for him. However, the young man couldn't tell her what he felt, fearing it would ruin their friendship. "Well, Kahlua texted me, and she wanted to meet our group for dinner today at Coffee Attic. She said that she wanted to tell us something."

Danae rolled her eyes when she thought about Kahlua. "Want to bet that she found another guy she wants to impress. Makoa she only brings herself trouble by going after men who are just not into her."

"Come on, be nice. Kahlua doesn't have many friends. Sure, she can be stuck up, but sometimes be friendly. We should still go and listen to her; she said to meet at 7 p.m."

"Fine, let me shower and get dressed. I guess we'll see what she has to say."