alternate ending for "somewhere only they know"

"hey."

"i'm moon girl, huh?"

"you were watching."

"of course i was watching. wouldn't miss it for the world."

"they ambushed me!"

"i don't know, Di. from where i was sitting, seems like you walked into that one pretty willingly."

"what? i did not! how is that willingly?"

"you could easily just said you don't have one."

"ugh why didn't i think of that."

"because you're ... a little slow?"

"are you calling only to make fun of me? i am done for. Chai Jie is gonna kill me."

"oh come on, now. i don't think it was that bad. it went pretty well, actually. you promoted the movie thoroughly. and he even mentioned the oscars short list. your name and the talk show would be on top of the hot topic search for weeks. the clips from it would be shared and watched millions of times, baby. RELAX. you did VERY well."

"you think so?"

"i do. so, best actor nominations huh?"

"that's what some people are saying. but eh, i don't really care either way."

"oh really now?"

"you know perfectly well the main reason i auditioned and accepted the offer was to be in the same city with you for three weeks. i didn't even care which role i got. "

"you know, i never really did buy that story."

"what? it's true!"

"if you say so, Dylan."

"Shen Yue ..."

"i'm just kidding! wow, someone's in a mood."

"when are you coming home? when you got the offer, you said it was only for 2 years. it's been three!"

"awww. is someone missing me?

"stop playing, Shen Yue. you know i miss you every day."

"i miss you too. and i'm coming home."

"what? when?"

"my flight is in 2 days."

"this isn't a joke right?"

"no, baby. i'm really coming home."

"oh thank God. i don't think i could survive another press tour without you."

"yes. who knows what else you will reveal in the next interview. maybe that birthmark you have betw--"

"that's enough out of you, miss moon."

--------------------

author's note:

"somewhere only they know" (can be found here https://w.tt/2Tld9Dx) , ends with a phone call and a short dialogue. this is the dialogue i had originally written for that call. but somehow the witty banter felt jarring and didnt fit the tone and vibe of the rest of the fic. so this got cut and i posted it on twitter as an outtake instead.