convo from prequel to "somewhere only they know"

"you know. if this were movie. we'd have all our friends saying that a guy and a girl can't be friends in the first act. and by the third act, you'd turn into the right guy who finally falls in love with his best friend, me. who have been secretly in love with you the whole time. we'd kiss passionately while the sun sets behind us. the screen fades to black. roll the end credits."

i looked sideways at him and saw him grin while swinging his dangling legs.

"why Shen Yue, is this your way of confessing that youve been in love with me this whole time?"

"ha. you wish!"

"right. because this is no movie and our Shen Yue is leaving me instead."

"so melodramatic."

"dont make me bring out my best actor award, miss moon."

"i'll just pull out MY best actress award."

he turned to look at me then. his face beaming with pride. "we've come a long way, haven't we?"

"yep. sometimes i do feel like this is all a dream. are we sure we ARENT in a movie of some sort?"

"you know, now that i think about it, didnt our friends insinuate that there was something between us in the beginning?"

"did they?"

"and i AM the right guy for you. "

"wipe that smirk off, dylan wang. you know your charms dont work on me."

"ouch."

"i will miss you, though."

"of course you will. who wouldnt?"

"on second thought ..."

"i will miss you too. A LOT."

well that was a surprise. not because i didnt think he'd miss me. i know he would. i just didnt expect him to say it out loud like that.

"I'll be back in no time, Dylan. 2 years are gonna go by really fast."

"oh yeah. i'm not worried about that."

"oh okay."

"besides, i'll see you next month."

"what?"

"oh i haven't told you? I'm short listed for that supporting role on Zhang Laoshi's latest hollywood joint production. Im supposed to meet with the studio execs in new york next month."

"OHMYGOD, WANG HEDI. THATS AMAZING. CONGRATULATIONS!"

he smiled sheepishly. "eh. thanks."

------------------

author's note:

i debated for a LONG time whether or not to include this here. i still very much want to write this fic, which is a prequel to "somewhere only they know" (can be found https://w.tt/2Tld9Dx). i even got parts of the narration written out as well (which maybe added to this book on a later date), but i dont know when i will get around to do it. i have 2 other older unfinished fics that i am DETERMINED to finish. and i foresee myself taking a break from writing diyue after finishing those two.

and so this one goes here. for now.

(oh and tigermoonbuddy i dont know if you still remember but this is the conversation i promised to send you if i couldnt write a full fic out of it 🙈)