The trip normally would take three hours, but Bai Yutang took only an hour to get there. Zhan Zhao knows how stressed Bai Yutang is just from the way he is driving his car like a plane.
Once they reach the research centre, they head straight for Zhao Jue's cell.
Bao Zheng is smoking outside the room, judging from all the cigarette butts on the floor, he had been here for quite a while.
"How did this happen?" Looking at the empty cell, Bai Yutang asks Bao Zheng.
"We got him in the film." Bringing the two to the control room, Bao Zheng turns on the monitor: The image is clear enough, the person who brought Zhao Jue out is Dr Zhang.
"Zhang Boyi, forty-two years old, famous psychologist, he is one of the researchers in the research centre, so he has access to the cell." Bao Zheng puts out his cigarette, "He knows the place well, he got Zhao Jue out when the guards are changing shift."
Bao Zheng takes a look at Bai Yutang and Zhan Zhao's tightly knitted brows, "You two don't have to be too worked up over this, we will put out an arrest warrant for him. I asked you to come because I wanted Xiao Zhan to take a look at Zhao Jue's room."
"His room?" Zhan Zhao looks confused.
"Hm." Bao Zheng chuckles, "Didn't you notice something wrong with it the last time?"
"..." Zhan Zhao turns around to glare at Bai Yutang.
Bai Yutang shakes his hand quickly, "I didn't say anything."
Bao Zheng shakes his head, "Although I'm older than I used to be, I'm not blind. The two of you are acting so secretively, it doesn't take a genius to figure out what you are up to."
Zhan Zhao and Bai Yutang exchange a look and lower their head in embarrassment.
"Now, the two of you, be careful, especially Xiao Zhan." Bao Zheng stops them who are heading out, "And your brother."
Bai Yutang looks nervous immediately, "You think, Zhao Jue will try to harm cat and my brother?"
Bao Zheng nods.
...
"My brother discovered his secret back then, that I can understand, but, the cat has no connection with him whatsoever." Bai Yutang seems rather worked up, "Why would he try to harm cat?"
Zhan Zhao tugs Bai Yutang back, "Yutang, calm down."
Bai Yutang jerks away and continues, "What happened back then? Why didn't you say anything? What's there that you can't tell us?"
Bao Zheng grins at the pissed off Bai Yutang and worried Zhan Zhao behind him suddenly.
He lets go a long sigh, "Twenty years ago, I have seen scenes like this as well."
"...?..." Zhan Zhao and Bai Yutang exchange a look and turn back at Bao Zheng in confusion.
Bao Zheng pulls a chair over and sits down, "Back then, Yunwen and I were like this as well, easily agitated. Zhao Jue would always be the one holding us back and helping us to come up with solutions. It isn't because the thing that happened was a secret... but because we really don't want to mention it again." He lights yet another cigarette, "Do you know, why Zhao Jue has killed so many?"
The two shakes their head, Bao Zheng smiles bitterly, "Because back then, police works were very traditional. Zhao Jue's idea of using psychological analysis would always come under criticism. He recommended setting up a special department for psychological analysis and recruit specialised psychologists to work on criminal profiles many times...But it was scorned upon every single time."
"He wanted to prove that psychology works, that's why he went to kill people?" Zhan Zhao asks.
"Yep." Bao Zheng inhales, "He used psychological suggestion to kill, then use psychological analysis to save those people... He made a fool out of those who used to mock at him."
Bai Yutang has calmed down by now, "He wants to harm Zhan Zhao, because of jealousy?"
Bao Zheng nods, "Do you know what is the last thing he said before being fitted with the silencer?" He inhales again, "He said he is jealous, jealous of me, of Yunwen, of everyone...He said a genius, must find a stage for himself if not, the genius will live in more misery than those fools. Everything he did, was to create a stage for himself, that's all."
Hearing Bao Zheng's words, Zhan Zhao seems to be in a daze, "If, the psychology research centre already existed back then, if such department was already established..."
Bao Zheng nods, "Then he would be just like you."
...Bao Zheng falls into silence, seems to be lost in his memory. Bai Yutang and Zhan Zhao note the regret and sorrow in his eyes. An expression, Bai Yutang is very familiar with. He has watched it for over twenty years, his old man would make this face often, while smoking and deep in thoughts...filled with endless regret and sorrow. When he was younger, he thought it looked super manly, but now that he recalls it, he was fortunate.
"Smokeless." Bai Yutang tells Bao Zheng, "It's bad for you." He leaves with Zhan Zhao after speaking.

They return to Zhao Jue's room, Zhan Zhao walks in and starts to examine the room carefully. He seats himself on the red chair and flips through all the sketches that Zhao Jue has left behind. Bai Yutang sits outside and gazes at Zhan Zhao inside the room dully. Time passes slowly as the sky outside turns white.
Zhan Zhao stands up and leaves the cell.
"Cat?" Bai Yutang notices Zhan Zhao's paleness, he seems to be in discomfort. Bai Yutang walks up to Zhan Zhao, while Zhan Zhao shudders, "Cat!"
He reaches out to catch Zhan Zhao's falling body, "Cat, what's wrong?"
Bai Yutang pulled Zhan Zhao into his embrace and touches his face gently, "What's wrong? Exhausted?"
"No..." Zhan Zhao holds onto Bai Yutang weakly, "Lock...lock the room. Don't look at those drawings."
"What's wrong with it?" Bai Yutang asked in confusion.
"Gather...everyone in the research centre, they need psychotherapy." Zhan Zhao calms his breath, and colours start to return to his face, "Zhao Jue has sketched psychological suggestions into his drawings...Those who have viewed the drawings often are likely to commit suicide, or murder..."