Epilogue

Epilogue

+

"I'm going back to 505."

Alex has the answer ready before Alexa even opens her mouth to ask. "I knew you'd say that." She replies, a sad smile on her face. Alexa gestures at the window on the side where they can see people gradually gathering in the corridor. "Are you still coming to the party then?" She frowns at the word party as if she just witnesses a bug falling in the soup. "Never mind. I'm not even going myself."

She notices the pile of essays on Alex's desk. "Just leave those until the holiday's over. If anyone's paper disappears, give it a fail."

"Don't be daft." He says, wagging his finger at the door playfully. "I don't want to have students crying for mercy at my door."

Soon the building is empty. Alex sits down on his chair, holding the tea he's just made in the common room. His office is at the end of the corridor, the room that gets to enjoy the last bits of sunlight at this time of the year. Two large bookshelves take up a whole piece of the wall on the left, while on the right sits Alex's working desk. The wall facing the door is the only one that has a window. Alex doesn't have any furniture to block the view. He loves to watch the sun disappearing beyond the horizon.

Taking another sip of his tea, Alex conjures up the first essay to read. Usually he waits until the night falls, and then he shall leave with the Moon being his companion if the weather is right. Today, despite being the last workday of the semester, is no difference.

Summer break starts officially on Wednesday, and Alex has already booked a Thursday ticket to the Moon. As usual, his luggage is packed weeks in advance. Matt will drive him to the airport. He gets to sit among tourists and lunar residences, trying his best to blend in, making sure no one recognizes him as the last Chief Wizard of the Moon Base.

Tonight, he feels the torture of loneliness more than ever. There was a time when he managed to convince himself that it's okay to let things go, to enjoy life and explore this new world around him. That, though, didn't last long enough for Alex to stop cringing every time he looks up to the sky.

Knowing he won't be able to get much more work done tonight, Alex shoves the rest of the papers in his backpack. As he leaves the building behind, Alex lights a cigarette, inhaling deeply. The silvery light from the sky falls into his eyes, reminds him-

It's been nearly 7 years since Alex last saw Miles Kane.

The name stirs up a painful twitch of what's left inside him. It feels more like a distant, faded memory than anything else. To this point Alex is almost certain that it doesn't matter anymore, but still he can't seem to give up...just because.

The Moon gazes at him gently as he walks away.

+FIN+

Notes:

I was going to finish this story on Miles' birthday but I'm a bit late x Happy birthday to my babe who deserves all the love in the world!

I just wanna say thanks so much if you are reading this end notes. Thanks for leaving comments and kudos and reading my fic! I can never write it to the end without you. This is the longest story I've ever finished (I know the latter half is probably messy because I changed the outline when I was writing Chap 11 ) For the unsolved mysteries (and angst) in this story, I will post the sequel...hopefully very soon!

Feedbacks are very welcomed and cherished x

Thanks again for reading! Hope you all enjoy the ride!