Chap 3

Chapter 3

+

The very first memory Alex has of death is associated with explosion. He was nervous around fire and noises for quite a long time after that encounter. But he knew better than to panic in front of people. After all, he was supposed to be the hero who'd save the day.

For a brief moment, Alex feels very much like his old self, secretly scared that he'll screw things up. He has to brutally shove the uncertainty back down his throat in order to stay focus. He is among the first to arrive. Homme only looks composed because others do not know him very well. Alex can immediately tell the situation is bad. All doors to the shelter are tightly shut. Inside, the flames are devouring everything.

"I'll go in." That's all he manages to say before grabbing a cloak. Homme shouts at him about no info on explosive devices yet, it's too dangerous and the staff members in the clinic and shelter have managed to get out already. "So only the survivors are trapped in the shelter. People from Lower cities who are hurt and defenseless and you ask us to stand by until technicians figure out what's wrong?" Putting on his cloak, Alex shouts back. He can barely contain his frustration.

Homme's gaze is cold and unyielding. "Don't, Alexander. It's an order."

"Fuck it —"

"Alex!" Matt shuts him up with a glare, putting on a cloak himself. Others begin to get ready for coming in as well. They gather together in front of the west entrance to the shelter. About 10 Wizards and three teams of Explorers. Alex is still whizzing with anger, but he knows Homme is right. They don't know what caused the explosions in the first place or where are the detonation points. What's more worrying is that normal fire should be easy to put out with the security system they have in the BASE. It's clearly a planned attack, with the help of magic.

There seems to be no more explosions coming. Silence is the worst. It's driving Alex crazy.

Homme's receiver rings.

"...we can't be sure, Commander. The explosive devices are found in several rooms. All are spell controlled. The fire has circled the outer perimeter... we lost half of the monitors. 23 people are in the playroom at the back of the shelter, but there is no guarantee for a safe route to get to them. It's better if our Wizards just cover all entrances and build a fender, otherwise other areas in the BASE will be influenced as well."

"Are they alive?" Alex asks, his voice is the only response to the message. It's surprisingly steady when he has made up his mind. Homme is looking at him sympathetically: He has no idea what Alex has in mind. Alex walks closer to him, waiting for the answer. When he gets a yes, Alex lets out a breath he's holding. "Open the west door then."

Everyone around him becomes deadly silent.

On the other side of the receiver, the guy couldn't believe what he just heard. Alex takes the receiver out of Homme's hand. "This is Alex Tuner, the Chief Wizard and our Commander is busy right now so listen to me, I want you to open the west door immediately and hold the line. I'll give you more instructions later."

By now every other Wizard realizes what just happened. Homme is still in the same position, his hand rigid in the air, holding a nonexistent receiver. Alex mutes the receiver just before Matt curses loudly: "Damn it, Al! Did you just fucking petrify Homme?"

Alex ignores him. "Split into 4 groups. I want at least 3 Wizards at the north door 'cause we're probably coming out that way. Put up the fender as soon as you can. Protect the commander, but don't bother trying to break my spell." He's at the door in seconds. When it finally opens, heat and fire rush out within a blink. It's definitely entangled with magic, because the flames are targeted directly at people. Alex forces the fire in, himself following without any hesitance.