Chap 5

Chap 5

The only food Alex has at home is frozen pizza. They sit on the guest room floor while waiting for it to be ready. Miles makes a through scan at the spell books Alex has at home. Lots of them are "Dark Magic" related, filled with aggressive spells what make your magic power destructive. "Are those also what they teach at the camp?" Miles takes out one with the most worn cover. The title on the spine is completely gone. Although he's nowhere near able to practice such level of spells yet, he looks quite intrigued. "Woooo, you have many notes on here."

"They are some alterations I made." Alex squirms on the floor, uncomfortable with Miles going through his collections. He's probably got the biggest private collection of books that should be in the restricted section of a library. He doesn't want Miles to judge him. "It's not from the camp. Actually, I got them from Julian...the Chief Wizard before me. They were me time killer before bed."

"Seriously? You read dictionaries on the bed, you nerd!"

Somehow Alex doesn't find it offensive when it's Miles who makes fun of him. There is no real sneering manner of his body. And he seems unmoved to the fact that those are indeed dictionaries of dark magic.

"Why'd you change them?" Miles asks curiously. He's tracing one of Alex's handwriting, his fingers distractively elegant. Alex only remembers to answer when he realizes Miles is looking at him expectantly. He quickly gets himself together, fighting to keep down the heat on his face. Alex tells him those spells were composed a long time ago to be used in wars. However, nowadays it's not like Wizards are going to fight in a field with pure magic and bare hands. Those spells were long forgotten as numerous weapons have been invented to be used with magic.

"I rewrote them, so they could be useful when I'm on missions down there." Alex glances at Miles, making sure he's okay with Alex talking about his not-so-noble work in the Lower cities. "Every month we come to the main cities for the maintenances of magical fenders. Wizards get attacked all the time working on site, from both outside and inside. Grabbing your gun and shot at the attackers takes a lot more time, you know? And it usually kills people. I'd rather not to use a gun." Alex points at one of the spells he blacked out and rewrote on the side. He admits hesitantly: "This one was to strangle people to death. I made it to be a binding spell that's usually unbreakable. You remember the one Tom used on you that day?"

Alex doesn't expect to see Miles watching him with pure admiration in his eyes.

"Aw you little diamond." He says adoringly. It's meant to be a joke, and it does make Alex smile. "I don't even know that's a thing. I mean, can you just write a spell out of thin air?"

"Theoretically, yes. The spells are just instructions to use your magic, right? It's not like anyone's screaming them out while waving a wand." Alex opens his palm and he does the trick he did for Lydia in the shelter a while back. Miles touches the floating sparkles and makes silly noises, grinning from ear to ear. "Did I just earn myself another admirer?" Alex asks boldly. It's not something he often does. But by now he's already known nothing he'd do for Miles is something he'd usually do.

"Only if you teach me how to do it." Miles has him in a headlock playfully when Alex finishes the spell. His chest vibrates with laughter and is warm against Alex' back. He whispers in Alex's ear smugly: "I make a very good student, Sir."