Chap 12

Chapter 12

+
His sensible mind tries to remind him that Miles lies all the time about everything. Alex is oblivious of who he really is or what he's in it for. The Miles he knew was something Miles created to make Alex fall for him.

However, at the same time his mind is riddled with the fake tales they shared, the good old times. All his rage and hate are effortlessly twisted into the fear that Miles is going to DIE. He looks down at his now unscathed wrists. They are not bound anymore, yet the invisible strings are still there: Miles holds them in his hands, making Alex dance for him.

It must have something to do with the magic bond, with them being soulmates, if that's even real. As far as Alex knows, there is no possible way to fake a bond as special as that. Or was it all in his head? Did Miles just pretend to feel the same when Alex first brought it up so that he could become Alex's soft spot?

There is one simple way to know, for magicians lie but magic tells the truth.

Alex remembers vividly the first few times when Miles' magic touched his own, when Miles was still short on knowledge of spells. His raw, untrained magic wandered inside Alex's body and it was gentle and loving with not even a bit venom.

Miles could only act it out when he's acutely aware.

Alex really shouldn't do it. But just like everything else that's related to Miles fucking Kane. He can't think straight. He wants to know so bad.

Alex lets his magic seeps into Miles' still body and suddenly there is this warm tender feeling he knows too well travelling under his skin. Alex is horrible at healing spells, but thankfully Miles' magic is so easy to merge with Alex's. Even with Miles being unconscious, his body knows what to do.

The bond is real. Alex thinks bitterly. Being toyed by your soulmate. Not humiliating at all.

Miles' head snaps to the side. He inhales sharply and is coughing out blood again. Alex can't help but wipe away the horrifying red blots on Miles' chin with his thumb. "Take it easy." He instructs, voice softening despite himself. "Can you manage a healing spell now? On yourself?"

Miles nods. He's leaning into Alex hands subconsciously and Alex's heart aches for how absurd the scene is. One of Alex's hand is still around his neck, yet Miles is compliant under him, seemingly aching for Alex' touch even if it's a threat to take his life. He's either extremely stupid or completely mad.

He keeps transferring his magic to Miles. Alex can feel the spell working. "Thanks, Al...Alex." Miles blinks a few times when he's fully restored, but quickly his smile dies out. He corrects himself, murmuring Alex name in full length, followed by an apology.

"You owe me an explanation." Anyone in his right mind would not be this easy. But here he is. He really is fucked in the head. Alex releases him. "A fucking good one."

Miles is as surprised. There's hesitance in his smile, and he almost looks sheepish. "Yeah, of course...whatever you said."

"If you want to stay and play house at least spare us for the greasy part?" Dom moans loudly.

"Oi! Shut up." Miles blushes (what a rare scene) and pushes Alex away to get up. The moment he reaches up, Alex recoils from him, staggering to step back. Miles is not impressed by his new cautiousness. He looks like he wants to say something, but end up swallowing it back, hiding his expression under his messy hair. Some damages have been done by the fire. He grabs at the burnt ends of his bangs, while quickly saying: "Alex, we really need to move now. I'll tell you everything when we are safe."

Alex hasn't released the restraints on the other three. Miles glances back at him pleadingly, but Alex has to be sure. "How do I know you're not leading me to your boss?"