Chap 20

Chapter 20

Chapter Text
Chapter 20

What puzzles Alex most is that three Majors were once in charge of the drilling project, yet every one of them has agreed it was a good idea to keep going. Miles has to remind him that there have been more than 500 hundred people over the years, working their ass off to help with the carnage. "People suck, that's why." He leans in to peck on Alex's lips as they go around the corner. Even this fails to lighten Alex's mood.

Alex is banned from seeing Andy or really anyone in jail because he's overly close to this case, being the chosen vessel and everything, apparently. He is also excluded from the interim council because they all agree it's better that Alex puts all the effort into the transfer. The worst part though, is that they try to make Alex somewhat of a devilish giant and a freaky hero at the same time in the public announcement, adding false details of how he tore down the platform and freed the monster all by himself.

"We'll work on that as soon as the transfer goes on smoothly." Miles seems more concerned about the immediate problems they are facing. "I better contact Eva tonight. Some new weapons ended up missing. I should double check with her before we go...Fuck, it's going to be a nightmare."

"Sure. What about the-" Out of the blue, Miles pulls away from him. Alex looks ahead and there are his parents, standing at the end of the corridor. Penny opens her arms and for a second Alex throws every problem into the void, running towards his mum, hugging her tightly. David tries to ask about the thing they said he'd done but forgets about it when Alex also pulls him close.

Realizing how childish he just acted, Alex is embarrassed when he hears Miles approaching. He turns around, surprised to find Miles has both of his hands behind his back, looking clearly overwhelmed and almost sheepish as he stops in front of them. The sight tickles the inside Alex in a mysterious way. He wants to take Miles' head between his hands and kiss away the lost expression until he's smiling properly.

"You must be Miles." Penny stretches her hand out for Miles to shake. She gives him an unexpected hug when Miles leans forward, rubbing briefly on his back. "Alex talked a lot about you back then when he still remembered to call us."

Alex protests. "Mum!"

Miles is still flustered when he greets David. They don't have much time to chat before Alex and Miles have to go to the conference room. Miles is much more relaxed and happier around Alex's parents by the end of the rushed conversation. Alex can tell they like him as well. When he suggests his parents to stay at his flat, Alex realizes he has lost the key already at god knows where.

"I have it." Miles murmurs. Three pairs of perplexed eyes are on him as he fumbles at the back of his neck and takes off the necklace hidden under his collar. Alex has seen it many times. The pendant is the familiar running figure, but it is now accompanied with the key to Alex's flat and the ring he's given Miles as a bait.

Miles passes the key to David. He waits until they are alone before putting the necklace back (with the ring still on it), nudging Alex lightly. "I thought you knew. You know, when you put your hands around me neck?"

He chuckles, trailing off at the end. Alex is instantly filled with guilt. "I wasn't paying much attention, alright?"

"Well, can't blame you for that, la." Miles doesn't seem to be bothered. He laughs and pokes at Alex's side until Alex gives in and forces a smile. Therefore, they don't have to talk about it.

+

When the preparations are finished, it's only a few hours before they have to leave for the capital city. Alexa takes pity on them and gives them a room in the shelter to rest. He's going to waste her kindness anyway, for Alex is afraid of even closing his eyes. Every time he does, he sees the ashy face of Homme, Fox smiling coldly at him, the unyielding darkness which he couldn't fight back-