Sick

Levi's POV

"Daddy, wake up!" I groaned as I was oh so greatly awakened early one morning by an overly-hyper three year old jumping up and down on me. "I'm hungry." She flopped down right on top of me.

"Okay, okay, hold on." I lifted her up as I sat up. Isabel and Farlan were on an early mission, so I needed help with the cooking. "Valerie." I said and gently shook my wife. "Valerie." I said again. "Wake up."

"Mommy." Sophie crawled over to the other side of the bed.

"Oh hey, sweetie." Valerie finally woke up and tiredly smiled.

"I'll meet you downstairs!" Sophie said and ran out of the room. Valerie slowly sat up and rubbed the sleepiness from her eyes. It was then that I noticed that she looked kind of pale.

"Are you feeling okay?" I asked and put my hand to her forehead. "You're warm."

"I'm fine." She said and got out of bed. I cautiously followed her downstairs and got ready to mix some soup together. The whole time she was moving slower than usual and coughing.

"Are you sure you're okay, Valerie? You don't sound good." I said as I came and placedvan arm around her waist.

"I'm fine, it's probably just a cold." She smiled and kissed my cheek. She then sat down two bowls of soup, one in Sophie's place and one in mine.

"You're not eating?" I asked.

"No, I think I'm going to go get a bath." She said and slowly made her way back up the stairs. I narrowed my eyes at the soup as anxiety started coursing through my body.

"Daddy what's wrong?" Sophie asked worriedly from across the table. I quickly went back to my normal facade and took a sip from the soup.

"Nothing, sweetie. Just eat."

Time skip

Later that day when Farlan and Isabel returned, I talked to Farlan outside about what had been going on with Valerie today. He knew a little about health and medicine from caring for his mother and her bad leg. His knowledge in that was how he was able to deliver Sophie.
He said that Valerie may just have a cold but we should keep an eye on it because diseases are very common in the Underground, especially fatal ones.

Please, Valerie, be okay. I need you.