The Mines of Moria

Previously:
"Spies of Saruman," Gandalf answered looking after the spots in the sky. "The passage south is being watched." He looked back at the others. "We must take the Pass of Caradhras."

Annabeth shared a look with Percy, who looked confused. He looked from Aragorn to Gandalf and back to her.

"Is that bad?" He asked.

"Frodo!"

"Grab them!"

There was a shuffling of snow as everyone dug themselves out of the pile the avalanche created. Aragorn, Boromir and Percy frantically dug through the white flakes for the hobbits. One by one, they each pulled out a hobbit, with Percy lifting both Sam and Frodo by the coats.

"We must get off the mountain!" Boromir shouted over the ice cold wind. "Make for the Gap of Rohan and take the West road to my city!"

"The Gap of Rohan takes us too close to Isengard!" Aragorn shouted back.

Annabeth closed her eyes in resignation as Gimli tried one last time. "WE cannot pass over the mountain. Let us go under it," he implored. "Let us go through the Mines of Moria!"

Percy must have noticed her hesitance because he leaned over to her and murdered, 'What is so bad about the Mines of Moria?"

"Do you not believe me that it would be a horrible idea?" I demanded furiously.

"No, no, I'm just curious," he said hurriedly then smiled lopsidedly. "I know better than to doubt you on this sort of thing. But a feast doesn't sound too bad right now."

She smiled weakly then leaned in closer so he could hear. "There won't be a feast. The dwarves mining there mined too deeply and greedily," she quoted. "They unearthed a monster they could not destroy."

"Let the ring bearer decide," Gandalf said ominously.

Annabeth tried not to look at Frodo, as she knew everyone else could be. She already knew his decision.

"We cannot stay here! This will be the death of the hobbits!" Boromir shouted.

"Frodo?" Gandalf asked.

"We will go through the mines," he said firmly.

"So be it," Gandal said heavily.

Annabeth glanced sharply at the old man. She'd never thought about it but it sounded to her as if Gandalf was saying that what ever happened here would not be his fault. Then, logic would suggest it was Frodo's because that was who made the decision.

She wasn't sure how she felt about that.

🏔 🏔

Annabeth and PErcy were walking right behind Gandalf on the way to the base of the mountain when he called out, "Frodo, come and help an old man."

The daughter of Athena shared a glance with Percy. She had shared her thoughts with him earlier that morning and they both agreed to keep an eye on him until he 'died.'

"How is your shoulder?" Gandalf inquired.

"Better than it was," Frodo answered.