Chapter 5: Tonight's forecast

Trivia: According to the IMDb trivia page, Leonardo DiCaprio was considered to be Peter Parker and James Cameron as the director for the first Spider-Man movie. I guess Sony didn't want DiCap to have another ginger crush, o the humanity!

____________________________________________________________

                                                     Chapter 5

                                                Tonight's forecast

"My apologies, miss", Flash says, gives Erin a hand and eyes her. I eye over the situation; it looks pretty bad. Scalloped potatoes scalded Erin's apron and water dripped from her hair. "Oh my goodness, this is only my 3rd day here and I'm totally gonna get fired!", she panics. "Relax, tell your manager the truth- that I bumped into you. I'll get you a tablecloth and everything's going to be okay", he cooed. What the heck?

After the fiasco, Erin comes out of the kitchen cleaned up with a new apron, a smile and our not-spilled food, Flash is now half-smiling at her and Liz is clenching her teeth. "My goodness, you saved me there! How can I ever repay you?", she pleads. "It's okay, we just want a table. Besides, Liz is here", he points out. What does she have to do with anything? "Right away!" and they choose a table. Lovely, it's across from Betty and me. "All right, but I need to serve these lovebirds first, okay?", Erin asks. He nods his head and she hops over with our meals.

"Sorry about that, I'm here now", she apologizes. She disassembles our plates and hands us straws. "Wait, can we have some napkins?", I ask before she takes another step. "Oh sure, I'm sorry", she frowns. "Enjoy your meal, Jordan or myself will be ready when you're finished", she assures and helps Flash and Liz. Oh, she means a different waiter; I was wondering who Jordan was. "Wow, that was odd; and she even forgot napkins?", Betty scoffs. "Yeah, it'll be okay. Let's just dig in", I jumble.

Mmm, that corned beef sandwich was worth waiting for: grizzled salt crystals dissolved to the moist marinade from its inch-thick slices as they were shoved below 2 lettuce slices, while mustard glazed an "oomph" factor to the sandwich. The beef has a higher saltiness than I am accustomed to, but it's a nicety I overlook. The bread was French and toasted (French? Whatever). Mashed potatoes cupping a tablespoon of gravy, accompanied my plate. On another plate, butter tablets and a butter knife awaited fluffed soda biscuits. The soda biscuits weren't a disappointment- I could taste the baking soda and buttermilk seared on the flour. The Donegal Oatmeal Cream turned out to be a dessert with oatmeal dolloped by an inch-high whip cream serving, with notes of orange and lemon, pooled with strawberry syrup, kind of like a parfait. The water, though, is tap and I could taste the arsenic, fluorine, mercury, PBCs, lead, and chlorine flushed through its molecules. That's one feature to my superspider persona I often forget about- being able to detect elements by taste with my radiation sensitivity. That's why I implored Aunt May to buy a reverse osmosis filter system in our house; I tasted fewer impurities when I get thirsty. Whoa, I sound like a pathetic food critic, sorry about that...

"So, how's your meal?", I break the silence. Don't worry, it only lasted for 20-ish seconds. "It's okay, the food's better than I anticipated. I heard about this place from a friend of mine and I was like, 'Irish food? Okay' and decided to try it with you", Betty evokes. "Thanks for coming, and waiting, with me, it was thoughtful of you", I thanked in flatter. "Oh it's nothing big", Betty rolls her eyes over. "Well, I'm still going to hold to my words. So can you tell me more about being an assistant to J. Jonah?", I ask. "Well, it's funny that you ask that...".

The evening went great and we chatted the entire time. Flash motions his hand to me and I ignore it. Betty paid for me, I was stupid enough to forget money. I seriously need to attend some "Dating 101" classes; too bad that would be the first, and only, class I would fail in and my beloved high school would be foreclosed by Mayor Bloomberg if the classes occurred.