It is not long before our teacher comes in and tells everyone to sit down. It takes a moment, but we are all soon in our seats. I spot my brother sitting in the row in front of me, but one seat to the left. I reach out to tap his shoulder, and he looks back and smiles at me. I smile back in response, then look up at the teacher, ready to begin another normal year of high school.

Cole

School. I hate school. How long does it take? Six hours? Seven? Way too long, I think. It's so boring. I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to be learning. All I know is that the only reasons I go are because my friends are there, and I need to make it look like I'm not cheating. What I mean is, I go to class with my brother, Zane, then pretend I'm listening, so that when we get home I can do what I want. Besides, Zane is nice and really smart, so he lets me copy his homework, though I can tell he wants me to try and do it on my own.

The teacher starts calling roll, and I'm only half-listening until she calls my name. I respond, then sigh and stare off into space, thinking about what has already happened today. Before class, while Zane was apparently looking for me, I had found my way into a crowd of people surrounding a commotion. I heard shouts of the name "Garmadon," but there was no sign of the four-armed villain anywhere. I'd eventually pushed my way out, just in time to see my brother disappear into the school and thought it would be fun to scare him. So I did.

I blink and realize I'm getting a glare from the teacher. I grin nervously and nod, indicating that she can continue. She proceeds to talk about something beyond my interests, so I pull out my notebook and start writing lyrics to a new song I'm coming up with.

Kai

"Bye, Mom! Bye, Dad! Have a good day at work!"

My parents return my goodbyes as I run out the door with my little sister running after me, repeating what I had just said. I can see the school bus waiting not very far away, and put on an extra burst of speed. Before I know it, however, my sister is already at my side. She leaps and gracefully lands on the first step of the bus right as I reach the ground in front of the doors.

"Hurry up," the bus driver tells us with a small smile. "You're not the only kids who need a ride. But that was a very majestic jump, Nya. And a magnificent landing, too." Nya grins at him, then turns and struts away. I growl and follow her into the bus, taking a seat behind her as the driver starts to leave our driveway. I stare out the window, ready to be lost in my own thoughts.

After a couple minutes, Nya turns around in her seat to face me. "So, are you excited, Kai?" I shift my gaze to her from the window and wonder how she can possibly so cheerful.

"No," I mutter, turning away.

"Why not?" She asks with a poke.

"Because, unlike you, I've been to high school before. It sucks. Real bad."

She makes and amused noise and turns back around. I sigh and allow my mind to wander. Mom and Dad are probably already helping their first client. I wish I could stay and help them. I don't need to go to school to learn how to smelt and shape metal! Besides, Nya doesn't want to be a blacksmith, and she's smart enough to have skipped several grades in the past few years so that, even though she's three years younger than me, she's now in the same grade.

I'm jolted out of my thoughts when the bus stops abruptly. I figure there are more students boarding, so I decide not to pay much attention to them. If they're anything like me, they'll know just how bad this day really is.

I absentmindedly drum my fingers on the tiny windowsill as a few students pass by, checking out of the corner of my eye to make sure that none of them sit next to me. Soon, I'm pretty sure all of the students are seated, and I hear the doors close. But as I sit up, I see an orange figure with red hair standing by my seat.