Chapter 2: Acorn-Sized Flame

🔥🔥🔥

🔥🔥🔥

  Hard and rugged.

  Asagai flinched at the foreign sensation puncturing his back. He had almost forgotten the fact that he had been leaning on a tree.

  A sturdy, century-old sycamore tree.

  A couple of low-hanging branches caught his eye, only a few inches above his reach. The boy gulped loudly, realizing that he still had a reason to live. The old hag would definitely kill him twice if she found out that he had died before she did.

  The Raval crouched, evil eyes focused intently on the boy's quivering body. It sensed his fear clearly emanating from his pitiful human figure, and the monster almost howled in addiction to his sheer scent of terror.

  The beast bared its menacing fangs before pouncing, claws extended and ready to latch itself onto the boy's soft flesh, ready to dice through his meat, and more than ready to feast.

  However, much to the Raval's surprise, Asagai sprung into action and leaped, gripping the sycamore branch tightly with both hands. He lifted his entire body upwards and used both legs to pummel the monster square in the middle of its eyes. Unprepared, the Raval stumbled backwards with a maddening screech.

  This was Asagai's chance. He hurled himself upwards and placed a sandalled foot one after another, almost slipping off as he continued to clamber upwards in a seemingly frenzied manner. He dared not look back as the Raval roared and mauled and crashed itself onto the base of the tree, furiously ramming over and over until the young thief was sure the sycamore would fall down and crash.

  Asagai's only desperate choice was to climb higher, completely discarding his sandals as his scarred hands, now preheated with urgency, grappled onto anything sturdy enough he could use to haul himself further. The sleeping birds on the leafy branches woke, completely alarmed by the pressure Asagai and the Raval placed upon it. They quickly dispersed, squawking in annoyance.

  The thief forced himself to do so until his lungs ran out of precious air and he was frantically gasping. Asagai's small chest constricted and shriveled even tighter, making him sob involuntarily. A crow landed on his face, cackling furiously. Asagai nearly fell off as he defended himself in a state of panic, but thankfully, his right hand held onto a vine.

  The Raval's frequent howling caused the young boy to cower in fear, his knees rattling together as he grappled onto another branch. The repetitive noise nearly shattered his eardrums, and the branches constantly getting smaller cracked and snapped under his reckless feet.

  Asagai continued to climb until he reached the highest branch — one sturdy enough to support his weight. His head poked out the messy tangle of vines and sticks and leaves, mousse-like brown hair disheveled and face covered in grime. He stared through the abyss, charcoal-black irises scanning the heavens for any kind of good news.