Nicolas Pearson

Tommy asked me out on a date. He said he likes me. I don't know how to explain what I'm feeling. I knew Tommy treats me more than a friend but I didn't know it was because he likes me. How do you even know when you like someone like that? I never thought of going out with anyone before or the need to tell them I like them. I don't even know if I've felt attracted with anyone. I do know as well that I've been attached to Tommy these past few weeks and got obsessed over meeting him over the day but I never seemed to think that I like him the way he likes me. Do I actually like Tommy? Is this what you call this incomprehensible warmth that's building inside me whenever I get to see him and talk to him?

I wasn't able to sleep well last night, thinking over and over of how to fit this new discovery in my life. He said I don't need to answer his confession yet but does it change anything between us? Will Tommy stop hanging out with me if I say no? Are we going to stop being friends? Even just the thought of it is making me sad already. What if he actually does that? I should really decide how to answer him fast.

My phone rings from my table with Tommy's message telling me he has arrived to pick me up for the date. I 'm feeling somehow nervous. I've never been on an actual date. Candy forced me to go with her but I don't think you can actually call it a date. I just followed her while she goes to shop. I peek through my window and see Tommy leaning on his car with a bouquet of beautifully arranged flowers. He looks more dressed up than usual and his hair shining more brightly against the sun. He's breathtaking, he always is.

I hurry out my room and down the stairs. As I finally approach him I feel my heartbeat speed up. Tommy looks more attractive today and it's making me feel oddly skittish. How will this go? Can we just talk like the usual? Where are we going? "Nic." Even Tommy's voice sounds so different.

"Tommy."

"Are you alright?"

Oh no, I don't want to worry him and ruin this. "Yes, I am."

"Good, here, this is for you." He hands me the bouquet. 

It looks even more beautiful up close. "Thanks. I love it." He smiles widely and it was enough to calm me down. 

"Let's go?"

I nod at him once before he guides me to the car and we go to our first destination.

We were dressed casually so I knew we were headed somewhere not fancy. What I didn't expect tho is for it to be the movie house. It has been long since I've been to one and although I do like watching movies from time to time I'm not interested enough with it to know what's new. Tommy on the other hand looks like he knew a lot. He didn't ask me which to watch when we arrived and went on to buy tickets. While most people will find it annoying, I find it relieving. I didn't want to pretend that I know something and end up making the wrong decision. "First is movie. I really like watching movies, it's where I get inspirations for my art. Normally I'd watch drama films but they recently just released Loving Vincent, a story about Vincent van Gogh. He's one of the artists who's art style I really like. I want you to get to know more about me, about Thomas who's not a football player but an artist."

I smile at him. I never thought of Tommy as just a football player. Tommy is more than that and from the moment he told me he likes art I knew he's a person who's full of thoughts and emotions, someone different from the one many sees. I was glad he decided to do this first. He did tell me to let him prove himself and what else is the best way to prove himself but to let me get to know the real him.

The movie was great. I admit there were parts that I don't really understand but I was amazed to see how the movie came about. I think of Tommy and how hard the path he is pursuing will be. Someone needs to be dedicated and hardworking to be able to go with it and I really admire him for it. 

After the movie, we went to a nice restaurant at the heart of the town to have our lunch. It was the area I never got to discover and again, being with Tommy makes it more special. My anxiety was long gone and I was enjoying every minute of it. "I kind of figure out you don't really watch movies but did you like it?" Tommy's fiddling with hands looking as if he was nervous that I would say I hated it. I did like it so I nod. "I liked it. Thank you for showing it to me."

His smile widens and if it's possible, I can even see rays of sun radiating off him. Tommy can sometimes look really cute more than just being hot. "That's great! I wished I was one of the artists that made the movie but my style isn't really like his. I'm more of the surrealist era artists' style." I don't really know what's the difference but I feel happy too. "This restaurant was suggested by Viv and Carol. It was where they had their first date too. I figured it's better than going somewhere else then find out they use artificial tomato sauce for their pasta." I laugh at his wit. Tommy's really trying hard for my sake and I really appreciate it. He does seem nervous and unsure from time to time but I probably will be too if I was the one who asked him out. "I like reading books and doing research. I like dogs more than cats and chocolates more than fruits. I grew up watching my parents design our neighbors houses and I once thought I would be like them too but when I was ten I watched a series about a chemist who makes perfume scents and I was really inspired by her. I'm not good with history and literature but having Tommy by my side helps me get by."

Tommy blushes faintly after I say the last line. He was surprised when I suddenly blabbered but after finding out what I intended to do, he listened and responded anyway. "I don't really like animals but we did have a poodle when I was a kid. I've always loved art and has been drawing since I was five. It was my dad who forced me to do football. I was quite big for my age so he made me do it to become healthier. I can't say I love it but I don't hate it as well. I don't even know how I became good at it. I guess I'm just a natural hard worker. I want to work for an art firm or some sort after university. I don't know what exactly but I just be close to art as much as possible."

"Are you planning to take Fine Arts too?"

"Yes."

If that's so we'll probably be in different universities and the thought of it saddens me. "That's great! I can't wait to see you get famous." I said jokingly. I don't know if Tommy noticed the slight shift of my mood but he chose to ignore it and laughed instead. 

The rest of our date passed by like the usual date you find on chick-flick movies. After the lunch, we went to the arcade where he got me a plush wolf from the claw machine then we went to the diner to have our dinner. He drove me back home at around seven in the evening. I wanted him to stay for a little while to have coffee but he politely declined saying he has something back home to attend to. It was disappointing how it ended. I didn't want to part just yet but I guess Tommy read me wrong and thought I didn't like the date. It was the opposite. I did enjoy it, doing things I don't normally do and getting to explore the town more which made me feel this is actually my home now.

I still don't know how to answer Tommy or how to put words into my feelings but I do know that I see Tommy not just a friend but something more special and with just the thought of being away from him or losing him frightens me.