Nicolas Pearson

There's a big event that Evergreen's high been celebrating every sixth week of the new school year that's called Open House which is basically just a school festival that is open to the public. The Chipmunks (Viv, Carol and Tommy) told me they usually create booths by clubs and invite their families but since I'm one of the few who doesn't belong to one, I can just be anywhere. Carol is apparently part of the debate club and they're doing waffle booth while Viv is a member of the Student Council and is currently part of the broadcasting committee. Tommy, as member and star player of the football team is required to be at their Photo booth the whole time so I'm left without anything to do. Carol did invite me to make waffles with her but I don't want to intrude to the small group she has and so as with Tommy. I'm pretty sure their booth is the number one go-to by the visitors in the school since I've been seeing a lot of young girls go toward the football field, giggling and murmuring names by themselves.

These are times I wish I have other friends besides The Chipmunks. I haven't really gotten to talk to anyone else since I've met them so I don't know if I should just go ask for an extra shift in the cafe or find a secret place within the school where I can sleep until one them call for me. 

After walking aimlessly for about fifteen minutes, I reach the other side of the field, near the arts building. I've been here before when I went to school too early and decided to explore. There's a greenhouse just at the back where I think is the best place to spend the rest of my time here. 

I slowly creep into its glass doors, scared that I'm actually trespassing. The scent of flowers instantly welcome me. It's so calming and refreshing and everything's literally so green that you'd think it'll be the safest place to be if there will be an apocalypse. I go further inside and with every step, the surrounding never fails to amaze me. "What are you doing here?" A small voice suddenly echoes, making me jump and stumble on my feet to the ground. "Oh no! I didn't  mean to startle you!" 

I rub my backside before looking up at him and use my other hand to hold onto his outstretched one. "Thanks."

"I'm really sorry. I didn't expect anyone to be here so I kind of overreacted. I thought you were doing something illegal." The stranger rubs the back of his head and looks away making him seem meek and innocent.

"It's alright. I'm fine. Should I not be here? I just transferred and I know it's been a month but I don't really know the rules."

He looks up so fast I can almost feel the wind swish. "Oh! I heard about you."

"Really?"

"Yeah, Evergreen don't really get to have many transfers since we're a small town so you've become pretty much popular plus they said you're cute." I can feel my face burning. I didn't know people have been talking about me much more call me cute. "Huh? Did I make you uncomfortable? Sorry, I'm just really the type who talks a lot."

I shake my head, regaining my composure. "I'm good. I'm Nicolas Pearson by the way, in case people at least haven't found out yet. You can call me Nic."

He smiles and offers his hand again. "Nope, not yet. Nice to meet you Nic. I'm Joshua Campbell but people calls me Josh. Are you also a junior Nic? I haven't really seen you in any of my classes."

"I'm also a junior. My schedule's kind of out of it since many classes are full already. Maybe that's why we don't have one together."

Josh leads me to a bench in the middle of the greenhouse and we sit before continuing our conversation. "I see. Is this your first time here in the greenhouse? This place is usually occupied by the horticulture club and art students but since the Open House is at full blast people are all in the field." 

"Yeah, it's my first time inside and they surely did a great job taking care of it. I'm surprised enough to actually see a greenhouse in the school. I don't think any other school would have one." 

He chuckles and nod at the same time. "Well, the previous president of the horticulture club is rich so she donated some money so that the school will build one for her." 

"That's amazing."

"You bet. How have you been doing so far? Have you got any friends? Are you enjoying school?"

Josh do talk a lot for someone who has a small frame and round and sparkly blue eyes. Why do people find me cute? Haven't they seen Josh? He's practically a walking doll. He's so precious that you'd want to adopt him as your kid. "The school's been great so far, better than my previous one. I did get to have some friends; Viv, Carol and Tommy. I call them The Chipmunks."

His eyes widen and shines even more, if that's even possible. "Really!? They're really popular, the three of them! Vivian and Caroline are popular because their pretty and kind and girlfriends. Thomas Weiss is well, handsome and the school's quarterback. He's so dreamy and nice."

I chuckle at him, almost tempted to ruffle his hair. "They are nice. What are you doing here anyway? Don't you have club too?"

He shakes his head in reply and bites his lips. "No, not really. I don't really like hanging out with a lot of people. It makes me anxious. I usually do stay here in the greenhouse when it's unoccupied which is during lunch and free period every Friday. The former President's boyfriend is actually my best friend so they gave me a key in case the club locks it."

"I'm the same too. I don't really like being with a lot of people. It makes my skin feel uncomfortable sometimes. You said the ex-president's boyfriend is your best friend. Where is he?"

"He graduated already. They're both older than me by one year so that sucks." 

"If you want, I can be your friend too."

Again, his eyes widens making his whole face ten times brighter. "Really? You would be my friend?"

"Why not?"

"I talk a lot."

"I've been talking to you and I'm surviving."

He laughs his heart-full laugh. "You're right."

"Here, save your number on my phone. This way I'm officially your new friend."

"You're my new favorite person, Nic!"