Thomas Weiss

After that incident with Nic's ex-girlfriend, Candy, he has been more cautious as if that night would repeat and the woman would suddenly pop up somewhere. I was worried about him. I hate that someone could get him shaken like this. That Candy woman should've just let him be, stayed quiet and away from Nic, have a new life away from the torments of their relationship. Even the thought of it annoys me. Relationship? That's ridiculous. If there's someone who deserves to have a relationship with him it's me. I'm the one who cares for him clearly not that overly enlarged hipped woman. 

Nic had to go to his parents house during the weekend to tell them about what happened. I wanted to go with him but I haven't actually met his parents so suddenly barging in with him is obviously not a good idea. I want to meet them in a more official manner, you know when I finally ask them to hand Nic over to me. Not that it's anytime soon. Nic texted me after he talked to them and they decided to confront Candy. I was against the idea but I wanted Nic to move on from it and completely leave his past so he can enjoy his new life to the fullest with us. I was nervous and afraid of how it'll turn out. What if that woman decides to threaten him? What if she begs him not leave him? What if she tells him she loves him and Nic gets hooked then he decides to go back to her? My mind was full of what ifs that when he finally messaged me, I almost lost it. He didn't get back with her. His connection with her has come to an end. Candy didn't like it but he said she just had a problem so she seek him. It didn't make any sense but at least that's over.

When we met Monday morning, he was the same Nic that we got used to. He was all smiles and was joking again. I felt so relieved. It's like there's this imaginary signal going off that it's my chance to make my move, to ask Nic out and find out what he thinks about me. I waited for the right time. I have to make it perfect. I have to think of it thoroughly. I have to have a foolproof plan.

Minutes became hours and hours became days. Now it's Friday and my nerves are reaching the roof. I decided to ask him out this afternoon and have the whole weekend together. I am ready, my heart beating so loudly it's almost deafening.

"What's the matter with you Tom? You look like you're seconds away from vomiting." I feel more like I'll pass out any minute now. "Did you break something?" That would've been better. I force a smile at Viv but it just made her more wary. "Oh no, there's really something wrong with you. Should I call someone? Should I call Nic?"

"No!" I almost screamed at her. "I-I'm fine. I just need to calm down."

Her eyebrows furrow in concern. "Really, Tom. What's the matter?"

I take a deep breath and let my body lean at the wall of the art room. "I decided to ask Nic out today. Later in the afternoon actually."

Viv's eyes widen in obvious surprise, her mouth hanging open. "Shut up. Really!? I mean finally, yes! Oh my gosh Caroline's going to flip! I should call her!" I let her be. Carol deserves to know it too and I bet their going to do something to help me which is what I really need right now.

A few minutes passed and Carol burst in with Josh on her trail. I wonder how they were able to come here without Nic.

"Hey babe, hey Josh. You wouldn't believe what Tom has decided to do." 

"Before that, where's Nic?"

Carol settles beside Viv on the floor and Josh approaches a stool near me. "I was with him when Viv called. I told him I had to go hand something to the Horticulture club's president so he went to the Chemistry Laboratory to finish his assignment."

"Good."

"So, what is it Tom that Viv's excitedly screaming about in the phone? Did you finally decide to ask Nic out because if that's not it then this is a complete waste of time."

I didn't answer. How can she even be so spot on? I knew Carol was observant and perceptive but I didn't expect it to be to this extent.

They stared at me well more like Carol and Josh stared at me while Viv was forcing herself not to laugh out loud. "Is that it?"

"What?"

"You decided to ask Nic out." Carol says as a matter of fact.

"Um..... Sort of?"

"Gosh Tom! Yes, just say yes!" With that, the cat's out of the bag. I should really restrain Viv sometimes. She always steals the momentum.

Carol and Josh literally froze. They were gaping at me. Is this such a big deal that they have to react this way? It's not like I was hiding it. They knew I liked Nic.

"Boy, that's great! Nic's going to say yes! I know it." He's so excited he's bouncing up and down the chair.

"Thanks Josh. Well, I don't plan on asking him out like 'be-my-boyfriend' sort of thing yet. I want to ask him out on a date first."

The three of them look at each other with large smiles, as if they've already formulated a plan even without talking first. That's good I think. I know they can help me out with this.

For the next two hours we talked about how I should ask him out and how the date would go. I wanted it to be like those cliche movies at the beginning where the guy would show up at the doorstep with a bouquet flowers then bring him to a restaurant and a movie. The first night would just be like the usual 'getting to know each other' date. What would be different will be the next date that will happen on the next day. I wouldn't tell him during the first day so it would be a surprise. I wanted it to be perfect like Nic is. I don't know how it'll it turn out or if Nic would even go to the date with me but it's worth gambling on. Whatever the outcome will be I'll take it honorably. Well I'd be sad and probably skip school for a couple of days if he says no out of embarrassment but that's the extent of it. I hope so.

It's finally the time of the day where Nic and I will meet. Classes are over and Viv, Carol and Josh are hiding somewhere close behind another car while I wait for Nic. Nic goes out of the building after two minutes and I don't know if it's just me and my dramatic thoughts but he looks as if he's a character straight out a novel with his hair flowing softly against the wind and his smile sending thousands butterflies on my stomach. He's simply breathtaking. "Hi Tommy."

"Hi."

He chuckles but it sounded more like a soft, adorable giggle. "You look funny. Where are the others?"

I shake my head, trying to bring myself back to reality. "Gone. I mean they went ahead."

"So it's just the two of us."

"Yeah, just the two of us." Silence follows between us. Nic's cheeks are red. Is he blushing? "Nic."

"Yes, Tommy?"

"Nic, I-you know I-"

He looks at me and his amber eyes captures me over again.

"Nic, I don't know if you've noticed it but I kind of, I sort of, I have this attachment to you."

"Whatever could you mean, Tommy?"

I take a deep breath, close my eyes for a second and gather my courage. "Nic, I like you. I am completely and utterly captivated by you. I want nothing but to spend the next days with you. I like you Nic."

Nic's eyes widen. His lips, trembling. I can't comprehend what he's thinking. "Nic?"

"Tommy?" His voice almost sounds like a whisper.

"Will you go on a date with me tomorrow?"

He remains silent.

"I, just give me this one chance. I promise that you'll enjoy it. I'm not pressuring you into answering me just yet on my confession. I know it's a lot to take in but can you please at least go on the date with me? I want to prove myself, that this is all true. After that, you can think. Will you, Nic?"

He finally looks at me on the eye and smiles. "Yes, I would love to, Tommy. Thank you."

"Great."

"Great."

I guess tomorrow's going to happen after all.