Thomas Weiss

"Vivian Trent. You can call me Viv. I'm Carol's girlfriend and this guy's childhood and best friend." 

Hearing Viv's voice, I grunted tiredly and raise my head only to meet a set of familiar eyes staring at me curiously.

"Good Morning sleeping beauty." I turn to Viv and shoot a questioning look. She rolls her eyes and kicks me lightly on my knee. "This is Nicolas Pearson, he just transferred." 

Oh, it's the new kid. I turn back to him and shoot him a cautious smile. "Hi, I'm Thomas Weiss, call me whatever." 

He adorably scrunches his nose then smiles again, showing two sets of dimples that can definitely woo even someone with a heart of a stone. That's not an exaggeration, not at all. "Hello, whatever. I'm Nicolas Pearson, you can call me Nic." I see, he's witty too huh? Even the two girls are giggling, earning him few more points in my imaginary 'How cute Nic is' point system. Let's see if I can test the waters. "You're cute." I state with my signature smirk that gets girls and boys alike falling for me. 

Nic snickers and shakes his head—not exactly the reaction I'm expecting but it's more surprising when he moves his face close to mine and winks. "Thanks." 

I am speechless. 

He fucking winked at me.

I'm pretty sure they can all hear my heart beating like crazy.

Don't tell me this Nic kid is a flirt? He is undeniably gifted in the looks and physic department but I didn't expect him to be this forward. I mean, who would? He was so awkward this morning I felt bad for him. Not once did he raise his head to look at us. I don't even think he's flirting with me because he likes me, the better word will be teasing. The dude is obviously teasing me but I can't  even find him annoying because it just makes him more adorable.

The two girls succumbs into fits of laughter, with Viv, slapping my back repeatedly adding up to my treasure box of embarrassment I never knew I possess. "Gosh, you're the best, Nic. I can't believe you actually shut this man up. He's been using the same old trick but you're the only one who actually managed to dodge it with ease." 

"Yeah, thanks a lot, Madame. Way to rub it in my face." I grunted immaturely just to earn another chuckle from Mr. Cutie. 

"So, tell us about yourself, Nic." Carol rubs the tears of laughter from her eyes and urges herself to calm down.

Nic pulls out sandwiches from his backpack and offers some to us. "What do you want to know?"

Carol shrugs. "I don't know. Are you single? Why did you move here?"

Nic shrugs back, making the whole exchange almost comical. "I am in a relationship but it is complicated. I ought to break up with her but I just haven't got into dealing with it yet because of the moving. For the second question, I'm not sure, really. I just want to be independent, I guess. That and let my fathers spend more of their time together without me getting in their way. How 'bout you guys? How long have you known each other? Have you always lived here?"

That's pretty surprising. I didn't expect him to be living alone. How can he even do that? He's like 16 or 17. I don't even know how to manage a stove or an oven. Living alone is the last thing I'd think of right now. I'd rather enjoy the last two years of high school before facing the reality as an adult. 

"Tom and I have been friends since we were kids. Our parents were college friends and they just ended up living in the same town, in the same neighborhood. We met Carol during freshmen. She's that pretty girl who gives no crap to people. Let's just say it was love at first sight so I decided to pursue her and I'm telling you, it was no walk in a park. Thankfully, she gave in before summer that school year." 

I remember that day clearly. Viv asked Carol out at this exact, same lunchroom, shouting to everyone that she has been in love with her since day one and no one can beat her love for her even if they offer her the moon. Talk about over the top. 

The rest of the lunch fell into comfortable conversation. I found out that he's planning to break up with her hoe of a girlfriend by the end of this week but also that, he's straight and most probably will remain as one until I get over my developing crush on him. 

He said that his next class is Chemistry which means he's more or less aiming to be in the same field for college. We still have the rest of this year and next year to figure things out but I'm sure enough he's not going to choose art or sports for that matter which leaves the general subjects and elective classes as our means to be classmates besides lunch, of course.

After classes is another football practice. Usually, I'd see Viv and Carol at the benches waiting for me but I got a message right when I was changing that they're going to hang out with Nic at the nearby diner. I will be lying if I tell you that I'm not tempted to just skip practice and go with them. Nic being straight doesn't mean I can't be friends with him. Heck, it'll be great to be his friend. He's cool and cute, well, cool and awesome, not so much cute but awesome. And cute. Fine.

"Yo, Tom. I saw Viv and Carol. Who was that kid with them?"

"Hey, Park. That's Nicolas Pearson, he just transferred today."

He nods thoughtfully. "The new kid. Wow, he sure is cute." I rolled my eyes in my head. Great, now it's not just me who knows how cute he is. "He's straight." Parker laughs loudly before patting my back in comfort. "That's fine, Weiss. Who knows? He may not be as straight as he think he is." I narrow my eyes at him questioningly. "What do you mean?" He shakes his head lightly. "Everybody thinks their straight when women's the only option. Man, I didn't even know I was bi until I had a crush on Bram Price during winter of freshmen. Consider the place where he came from. He could have gay parents for all I know but that doesn't mean that his former school is as liberated as Evergreen." 

Now that's what I call a sensible conversation. No hate to Jeremy but I'd rather talk to Parker Reed with my life problems than stay with him in the same room for five minutes. But seriously, if what Park said is true, that maybe Nic just didn't experience it yet then maybe I do have a chance after all. I'm not saying that I am already in love with him. I am interested in him, enough to think that maybe he can be someone I get to spend my Friday night with in a lake outside the town, talking about the future. Just maybe, he'll like more than a friend.