Chapter 10- The Talk

Katniss looks to Peeta and realises how he must be feeling, so when the family gets home she sends the children upstairs to get ready for bed and she turns to her husband. "Don't worry love, they will come round, they just need an explanation" she soothes as she strokes his arm before turning to head upstairs to her children. "Wait can i tell you why i freaked out?" Peeta calls, scared that if he doesn't tell Katniss now he may not want to later. Unsure Katniss tells him that she needs to put their children to bed, so Peeta decides to head to the kitchen to make the hot chocolate.

After tucking the children into bed and singing them a lullaby Katniss headed downstairs to find Peeta holding two mugs of hot chocolate. She gives him a kiss on the cheek before taking her cup and sitting at the table waiting for Peeta to explain. As Peeta explained that the woods reminded him of the games he pauses for a moment while Katniss looked at him reassuringly. "It also reminded me of Gale and how frustrated i got when he was with you and i just got a little jealous" he sigh's as he sits there disappointed with himself. Looking at his wife he continues; "Katniss i don't blame you if you hate me right now but I'm sorry and I swear I will try to control it when I start to feel it happening again."

While she takes in everything in that Peeta has just said tears come to her eyes.  "Ohh Peeta, I'm sorry you feel that way, but you have nothing to be jealous of! I don't hate you, i could never hate you! I love you that is all in the past, I hardly hear from Gale anymore and we haven't spoken properly in years ever since I married you! You are the man I love and you are my best friend so never forget that!" she tells him as she holds his free hand comfortingly. Shocked by her reply Peeta looks up questioningly he asks "Y-you don't hate me? But I almost just killed you in front of our children and it's because I was jealous of your best friend!" Katniss just shakes her head in answer to his question. "This is why I love you Katniss, your so amazing!" He says as he leans over and kisses the top of her head. Katniss starts to giggle as Peeta asks why she is laughing. "You couldn't have killed me Peeta... not when I had my bow and sheath of arrows" she continues laughing as a small smile cracks on her husband's face. When she eventually stops laughing Katniss offers to tell their children in the morning but Peeta hesitates and admits that he would rather do it as it is his condition.

Looking at the clock Katniss sighs "well its 5:30 in the morning and after all that excitement i don't think i could go to sleep, and the children will probably be up in an hour soon anyway. Peeta you should try and get some rest it's been a long day for you!" Shaking his head in disagreement Peeta whispers "I'm staying with you, after all I said I always will." He smiles as Katniss replies "and I know you always will! Why don't I teach you how to use a bow properly before the children get up, in preparation for what the Capitol have in store for us, because if only one of us makes it back..." Katniss cuts off mid sentence not wanting to believe that it is happening after remembering the TV broadcast from earlier. Peeta tries his best to calm her down. "Shh Katniss, that could never happen" he sighs even though he knows better. Katniss hides her face in Peeta's chest as she cries "Peeta, why would Paylor do this, would she include us in it after everything we have been through and everything we did for her?" Katniss has so many questions she wants to ask but she stops herself as she knows Peeta doesn't know the answers to them himself. Peeta tries his best to answer them anyway. "I don't know Katniss, I just hope it is us and not the..." He can't finish his sentence but as he tries he is interrupted by the buzzing of the television turning on with the Capitol seal appearing on the screen, then President Paylor appears.