Chapter 29 - Exchange

Just want to say thank you all so much for reading, reviewing, favorite-ing, and following this story. This story is a fun outlet for me even though I don't update often. Thank you all for sticking through this! I hope this chapter is a fun read, just Dick and Slade this time.

Exchange: to give up for something else.

-X-

He had two suitcases with him. Dick was surprised he even had enough clothing to fill them both. He felt like he wore the same dull outfit each day.

He had etched his "map" of the haunt on a small section of the newspaper Wintergreen gave him and tucked it neatly in a pair of boxers. Dick left the pillows and blankets on the bed and his Flying Grayson's poster on the wall. Dick had stared up at the poster and heavily debated rolling it up and tucking it in his suitcase, but at the last moment, he decided to leave it here at the haunt. At home Dick said to himself. That's what it was, wasn't it?

Dick took a step closer to Slade. There was always a strong chance of him getting recognized, no matter how dark the sunglasses were or how big the hat was, it was a risk. Dick looked at his passport in his hand. Richard Wilson. That was the name Slade had given him. Joey, Grant, and now Richard, apparently.

"Where's your friend with the missing tooth?" Dick asked. He looked around the airport. The place was buzzing with people trying to get home for the holidays. Someone would bump into him before shouting "Sorry, Merry Christmas!" and rushing towards the gate. Dick did what he could to prevent someone from knocking his glasses off his face.

"He's on his way towards us now." Slade explained. Dick squinted his eyes and stood on his toes to look for the man coming towards them. The sea of people was thick and dense and Dick struggled to see through the crowd.

He heard Slade chuckle, "I realize you are not tall enough to see him."

"No kidding." Dick huffed, "You gonna put me on your shoulders?"

Dick laughed at his own remark but Slade paid no mind to it. Dick cleared his throat to bridge the awkward gap, "He sure is..." Dick picked his words carefully, "Friendly."

Slade nodded, "Indeed." He said, "He's been like that since I've known him."

"He knows a lot about you." Dick noted, "He told me to say hi to your wife last time."

"Ex-wife."

"Does it really bother you that much?" Dick asked, "I thought you didn't even get the divorce."

"It doesn't bother me, personally," Slade responded, "But if Adeline got wind of it she'd make her way all the way here to correct you. She has the divorce paperwork, I have yet to sign it."

Dick glanced up, "So she broke it off with you?"

"Yes." He affirmed, "She had every right to. Enough questions for now."

Dick nodded and stood straighter when he could finally see Jefferson push his way through the dense crowd towards them. The man was just as eager to see them as the last time. The man gave Slade a firm handshake before turning and giving Dick a hug as though they were old pals. Jefferson pulled Dick close and squeezed Dick's face against his chest. Dick could see Slade laugh at him.

"Oh, its so good to see you both!" Jefferson said with a joyous grin as he released Dick.

Dick breathed a sigh of relief, "Nice to see you too." Dick muttered. He adjusted the hat on his head and pushed his glasses higher up his nose.

Slade shook Jefferson's hand once again, "A pleasure to see you again, Jefferson. The wedding was spectacular." Slade commented, "I apologize I had to leave so early but the ceremony was absolutely wonderful. When is the honeymoon?"