18: The Last Straw Project

Tuesday 6th June

Today I had to have a word with Marlene about the whole Klaus thing. 

I'd been tolerating her behaviour, trying to just ignore what was going on which, admittedly, probably wasn't the best idea. But in my defence, it wasn't my duty to babysit Marlene, nor was it my job to defend Klaus from her uncomfortable advances. But as both of their friends, maybe I should've stepped in earlier.

Today was the last straw. We were in the canteen at lunch and Marlene purposely spilled water down her white shirt, turning it see through, before saying "whoops", giggling and then just going on with her lunch like nothing happened. I got up to take her to the laundry room to get a new shirt when Carmelita walked past and called Marlene desperate and a range of other things I would rather not write down. It was completely unnecessary and it was really irritating. What was even more irritating was the fact that Marlene didn't even care. I was trying to help her and she just didn't care at all. I don't think she understands how to keep a low-profile.

Anyway, so I took her to change her shirt and at the same time I decided to bring up Klaus. I just expressed my concerns with what she was doing. I *sensitively* suggested that her advances seemed to be making him uncomfortable and she went completely psycho! She started arguing that I was against their relationship and that I was only telling her to stop because I was jealous. Obviously, I told her she was being stupid (which probably wasn't the best thing for me to say when she was already in a touchy mood) and that I wasn't jealous, and she cut me off and said that it was a competition. A competition where I'm assuming Klaus is the prize? I'm not 100% sure since she stormed off at that point but that's the only thing I can think of.

I have a couple of issues with that. First of all, Klaus is a person not a prize to be won, Marlene. Second of all, Klaus is my friend so I don't really know what benefit I would get from "winning him over". Thirdly, I didn't even agree to this dumb competition so Marlene better get used to competing against herself because I'm certainly not interested. Unless, if I take part I might be able to deter Marlene from Klaus to the point where she gives up because, let's face it, I highly doubt Klaus is going to change his opinion of her. It's something I'll have to consider but for now, I guess I should try and make up with Marlene before she does something dumb.

- Isadora