3. Rocks For Your Birthday

Clary sat there for a moment. She didn't say a word, just stared at Jace in shock.

Just when Jace started to look worried, Clary broke out into a grin and threw her arms around him. "Yes! Yes! Of course!" she exclaimed.

"Oh, thank the angel," she heard him say.

He slid the ring onto her finger. It fit perfectly. It had a gold band with the Herondale birds inscribed on it, all of them flying towards the huge diamond that was sitting atop the band. (Imagine the ring above, but instead of diamonds around the band, they're birds.)

Clary marveled at it for a while. "It's gorgeous Jace."

"I thought I'd keep up the tradition of giving you rocks for your birthday," he said.

Clary smiled, thinking of the witch light he had given her last year for her birthday.

"Do you like it? This isn't the traditional Shadowhunter way to propose. If I you had been raised as a Shadowhunter, I would have just given you my family ring for the engagement but since you were raised as a mundane, I didn't know if you wanted a mundane proposal or a Shadowhunter proposal, so I just kind of combined the two," he rambled and then looked back at her.

"Do you like it?" he asked again.

"I love it," Clary said, but then she paused. "Did I just make Jace Herondale nervous?"

"Yes, Clary Morgenstern, soon to be Herondale. You are the only one who has that effect on me," he said, smiling when he said 'Herondale.'

"Clary Herondale," Clary tested it. "I suppose that's not so bad."

Jace laughed slightly, pulling her to him gently, bringing her back into a hug. Relief washed over him as he rested his head on top of hers. He had actually been worried that she would say no.

When Jace told Magnus and Alec that he was going to propose to Clary, Magnus told him that if he wanted Clary to say yes, then he should get her a gorgeous ring and have this whole romantic evening planned out, - because that was what all girls wanted, he claimed - but Alec had argued that Clary loved Jace more than anything and would say yes even if Jace had a no ring. All of their bickering had caused Jace to stress over the whole thing.

Should he get her a mundane engagement ring or should he give her his family ring? Where should he pop the question? How should he do it? All these questions had flooded his mind, almost driving him to the point of insanity trying to plan it. And it was even harder trying to keep it a secret from her. There were many times when Jace had just wanted to ask her, whether it was when they were training and she had him pinned down on the mat, - he had let her - or when they were hanging out in his room, or even when they were simply having lunch. It had gotten to the point where he would find himself starting to ask, but then would stop because he was afraid she would say no. But as he held Clary in his arms, he knew for a fact that she would have said yes even if he had asked her when she drawing him the other day or when they were walking in the park. It wouldn't have mattered when, where, or how he asked, she would have said yes and that fact alone made him extremely happy.

Jace smiled into Clary's hair and hugged her a little tighter before letting go.

"Sadly, we have to go downstairs, Izzy has dessert, and in her words, 'A birthday is not complete, unless there's cake,'" he said.

"Okay," Clary said. She had almost forgotten it was her birthday. She was a little distracted with getting engaged and all.

She was engaged! Jace was her fiancé! She had a fiancé!