36. The Joys of Being a Parent

"How are you two so cute?" Jace asked Stephen and Brianna. "How is that possible?"

Clary smiled at them.

"Here, give me Brianna, I need to change her clothes," she said, taking Brianna from Jace.

"You better not turn out hotter than I am," Jace told his son.

"I thought that was too unlikely to dwell upon?" Clary glanced back at her husband.

"I'm talking theoretically of course." Jace smiled.

"Hm."

Clary finished buttoning up Brianna's onesie.

"You are really cute! You know that?" Clary picked Brianna up and made kissy faces at her.

Clary switched her face to funny, silly, angry.

"Why isn't she laughing?" Clary asked. "Aren't babies supposed to like that type of stuff?"

"You didn't start laughing until you were a few months old, Clary. Babies don't come out of the womb laughing," Jocelyn said, entering the room that they had turned into a nursery.

"But feel free to keep making those strange expressions," Luke told her.

Clary gave her step-dad a look.

"How's my little sister?" Clary cooed, noticing the baby on her mother's hip.

"By the angel, I have a sister," Clary said.

"By the angel, I have daughter who is the same age as my grandchildren," Jocelyn said.

"By the angel, I have grandchildren!" Jocelyn exclaimed. "I'm too young to have grandchildren, Clary!"

"Sorry." Clary smiled sheepishly.

"Although, they are very cute grandchildren." Jocelyn admired the two babies.

"And they have a very cute aunt," Clary said, smiling at her half-sister.

Then suddenly, Stephen and Brianna started crying.

"Shh." Clary and Jace tried rocking them, bouncing them up and down, but they still were crying.

Brianna was chewing on Clary's hair and tugging on Clary's shirt.

"Oh, you're hungry." Clary sat down in the rocking chair by the changing table and started breastfeeding Brianna.

"Here, give me Stephen," she said to Jace.

Jace handed Stephen over and Stephen immediately started drinking.

"You're hungry too aren't you?" Jocelyn noticed Amatis sucking her thumb.

Jocelyn sat down in the other rocking chair to breastfeed Amatis.

"Hey, do you guys want-" Alec started as he walked into the nursery, but once he saw the two women breastfeeding, he broke off. "By the angel! Um, I'll come back." He quickly left, his cheeks a faint pink as he dashed out of the room.

"Jace, I think Brianna's getting sleepy. You want to put her in the bassinet?" Clary handed her daughter over to Jace.

A few moments later, Clary stood up and placed Stephen in his bassinet as well.

"What do you think Alec wanted?" Clary asked Jace in whisper, not wanting the twins to wake up.

"I don't know, I'll go ask." Jace left the room and came back after a minute.

"Do you guys want anything from Taki's?" he asked.

"Nothing for us, we're going to head back and relieve Maia from the book store," Luke said.