Not Really a Florida Girl

Start from the beginning

"I assume Mr. Rollins sent you?"

He shut the trunk, and turned to her.  His eyes crinkled a little in the corners when he smiled, but it did nothing to lessen the intensity of his pale blue eyes. 

"You could say that."  He reached out his hand.  "Jack Rollins."

His grip was firm, and he held onto her hand just a second too long while those cool blue eyes seemed to measure her. 

She returned his gaze, taking her own measure.  She'd reviewed his bio on the flight, and found it curious that he'd left a prestigious national law firm similar to hers to start his own small law practice.  She hoped it didn't mean his legal abilities were lacking, since she was depending on him to help her sort out the mess with Shell-Morr and save the merger.

"Thank you for picking me up in person." 

"Not a problem."

He opened the car door for her and she slid into the low seat, tucking her trim skirt under her.   The canvas top folded over them and settled into place, making the interior space seem much more confined.

"I wouldn't want to muss up your hair," he said, as the car joined the traffic exiting the airport. 

"Thanks."  Was he laughing at her?  Making a comment on her conservative suit and sleekly styled hair?  She was dressed appropriately for a meeting with an important business client, and he was wearing jeans.  So why did she suddenly feel out of step?

"How much do you know about Morrie Goldstein?" he asked, glancing over at her.

"Not much," she admitted.  "I know he's the founder and CEO of Shell-Morr Industries.  That a complaint was filed by a -" she searched her memory for the name – "Michelle Sherman.  Former Director of 'R&D,' overseeing research and development of new products.  Goldstein claims it's frivolous and has refused to settle.  Ms. Sherman filed a lawsuit in federal court alleging sexual harassment, wrongful discharge and retaliation.  RKO won't go through with the merger until the outstanding claims are resolved."

He seemed to be suppressing a smile, and Grace couldn't imagine what was so amusing about the potential collapse of a merger that had been in the works for more than six months, and already cost considerable attorney's fees.  A merger that RKO – her firm's client – very much wanted to see to fruition.

"So that's the extent of your briefing?"

"Well, yes.  Our merger and acquisitions group has been involved in the transaction, of course, but RKO just contacted our litigation department a few days ago and asked us to get involved.  I was only assigned to it yesterday."  She tried not to sound defensive.

"You have no idea who Michelle Sherman is, do you?"

"Why?" Grace looked over at him as they sped across the bridge toward St. Petersburg.  "Is she some sort of celebrity?"

"Not at all."

"So what am I missing here?"

"I think I'll just let Morrie fill you in on the details."  He grinned. "I'm going to enjoy this."

"Right."  She leaned back in her seat.  One day on the case, and her co-counsel was playing games.

* * *

The corporate offices were located in one of those sprawling industrial park complexes with a series of one-story buildings, indistinguishable except for their suite numbers.  Grace couldn't imagine working someplace where you had to get in your car and drive every day just to have lunch.   Her own office in Philly was located a convenient one block from Reading Market.  And her own building boasted a deli on the third floor, with a dry cleaners, a newsstand, and a health club at street level.  She might not have the unremitting Florida sunshine – when it rained in Philly the weather was gray and dreary for days – but on the other hand, she could survive happily for weeks back at her own office without ever venturing outside.