Chapter Six

"Time can make someone change to the point where you can't recognize them anymore." -Anonymous

Chapter Six

It was every month that my parents took a little night off for date night.

I never minded because I never had much to do except study and go to school.

"Mom?" I asked, making my way into the guest room the were staying in.

"In here!" My mom replied as I watched her place in her earrings.

"Where are you and dad going?" I questioned, starting the conversation off lightly.

She turned to me, surprised that I was curious before answering, "Just a small dinner, nothing special."

I nodded as she continued, "The place is new and seems very fancy from what your father showed me. I'm just worried that it's a little far and we'll be out pretty late."

"How late?" She doesn't reply quickly but sighed instead.

"Well it's about an hour drive there and you know how your father tends to fall asleep at the wheel." She shrugs before pulling a dress out of a bag and tearing off the tag.

"Why don't you and dad just call it a night at a hotel?" I suggest, "It would be much safer and you and dad can have a night away from this mess."

I watched has she pondered on the idea, "I suppose that sounds like a great idea but we could use the money to renovate the house."

"You and dad could use the night away from this mess of the house fire and money isn't really—"

"—But will you be okay alone?"

"Of course I am mom, I'm nearly out of high school by now." I replied.

I watched as she reluctantly walked into the bathroom to try on a knee-length royal blue dress that complimented my mother's blonde hair.

"What do you think?" She asked, stepping out with the dress complimenting her.

"It looks cute." I stated, looking at her figure, "You should wear it tonight."

"I guess I will." She smiled before grabbing a pair of earrings.

"Be in bed early today Everleigh, you should study until you fall asleep and don't bother Jacob!" My mother chuckled before heading for the door.

•••

"Oh you owe me one Jacob." I muttered, releasing my breath just as my parents pulled out of the driveway.

"Hey! I'm already giving you that hoodie." He complained but my gaze shut him up.

Jacob shrugged it off and made his way into the kitchen before reaching into the storage cabinet to grab a stack of red solo cups.

"Can you put this on the table outside? I'll go grab the cooler and fill it up with ice and beer." I nodded and went to do just that.

"When are people coming?" I questioned, pulling out a can for him and myself from the fridge.

We both cracked opened our cans and took a sip before making eye contact, "It starts at 11 and won't get loud until 12 so we have about 30 minutes left."

"You know underage drinking is a pretty hot look on you?" Jacob teased before chugging own the rest of his can.

"You know being drunk before the party starts is a pretty hot look on you too?"I sneered before chugging the rest of my can as well.

"We both know our tolerance is better than that." He winked as he pulled up his phone to open a text, "I can't believe so many of my old friends stayed in the area. It felt like everyone was so ready to pack up their bags and head off after graduation."

I raised an eyebrow at his statement, "Are all of your old friends able to make it?"

"Yea." He smirked, "Why? Jealous I still have friends despite leaving?"

I shrugged before heading over to the cooler and picking up two more cans, "Nope. That's what happens when all your friends peak in high school dumb ass."

Watching as Jacob rolled his eyes as I skidded another beer across the table to him, "Go get the door, Eli's here."

Shaking my head, I made my way over to the door before opening it to see a blonde haired, blue eyed idiot.

"You look high as fuck." I stated as his grin began to widen, "Everleigh!"

I tensed as he pulled me into a hug, "I haven't seen you in a party in forever. The high school or college ones around here. Where have you been?"

"Studying, get off of me." I groaned as I pushed him off, "Jacob is in the kitchen."

"Figured, he called me over early to catch up." He chuckled, "It's been a while since I've seen him since he deployed."

"Yea, yea." I sighed, "Go."

I closed the door as Eli made his way down the hallway, "By the way, I'm not high. I gave that shit up a long time ago. Beer is another thing though."

•••

When Jacob meant a party, I should've known he meant a full blown out party.

In my eyes, how could he really manage to pull one together so quick especially being someone who graduated 2 years ago.

Yet, somehow he managed to make the party an alumni class meeting.

It was strange to feel like a sophomore being surrounded by my old upperclassmen again when I was the one graduating this year.

I watched as the cliques from two years back began forming themselves again.

Definitely the people who peaked in high school.

The type of people who keep finding themselves back at high school events because they couldn't fathom that the world didn't revolve around them in the way like it did back then.

I casually took another sip of my beer, feeling only slightly buzzed.

I rarely drank anymore knowing it didn't do much more good than it did bad.

"Hey, Everleigh right?"

•••

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've updated this book!

I doubt it has anymore readers but it felt a bit wrong not to continue it and leave it up on my page.

I'm going to try to start occasionally updating this book as well so I would love to see you guys start to fall in love with the book again!

What did you guys think of the chapter?

Please remember to vote, share, follow, and comment for more!

-Anne

•••
Updated: 7•27•20