Chapter Three

"You will not heal by going back to what broke you." -Anonymous

Chapter Three

"Hey mom. I missed y—Everleigh?" His voice questioned.

"That's me." I chuckled awkwardly.

"Why—what are you doing here?" He asked, pulling away from his mother.

"Darling, you came home so soon!" His mother exclaimed, "I didn't even get a chance to tell you! The Adams are moving in!"

"What?" He asked, shocked.

He kept his eyes on me and I suddenly found and interest in the floor.

"Sadly, not permanently." Jamie sighed, "Their house was caught and burned in an accident."

I winced at the harsh words but what could I do, that was what happened.

"Oh, I'm sorry to here that." Jacob said, distracted in his own thought process, "Where is—"

"Everleigh will be staying in your room, you don't mind do you?" Jamie asked.

"No, I guess I don't." He shrugged before excusing himself up to his room.

"Go." His mother prompted, "It's been a while for you two and I think being roommates is the perfect situation to catch up."

I stalled but eventually made my way up to his room and knocked, "Come in!"

"Hey." I smiled, quietly making my way to sit on the side of the bed.

Jacob was shirtless, going through his closet to find a new shirt.

"Hey." He replied, "Long time no talk."

I chuckled, "Yea, it's been a while hasn't it?"

"For sure, how are you—still dating that basketball player?" He asked, referring to an ex I had dated for 2 years prior.

"Umm...no. We ended it off." I answered, shrugging.

"Sorry to hear that and sorry about your house too." He made his way to his duffle bag and began unpacking, tossing his uniform aside.

"I don't mind sleeping in the treehouse." I blurted out, cringing at the loudness and abruptness.

"What's the harm of you sleeping here?" He told me, "We've slept in the same bed before. I can sleep on the ground though."

"N-no!" I responded, "We can share a bed. I can't let you sleep on the ground in your own room."

Taken off guard, he replied warily, "Alright."

The tension was deafening, "So... how was deployment?"

"Just the usual. I'm off for about 6 months. How long are you here for? Not to be rude of course." Jacob asked.

It wasn't always like this.

I can still remember when we joked in every conversation, roasting each other in the process.

Now it seemed as if we were so cautious and worried.

What changed?

"4-6 months."

He nodded before looking to me, "Are you doing anything tomorrow?"

Caught by surprise, I shook my head, "Nothing much, just going to get some clothes since most of them were lost."

Jacob nodded again before speaking, "Sounds cool. Wanna hang out tomorrow?"

"Yea. That sounds great actually."