Chapter One

"Everything happens for a reason. Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can come together." -Marilyn Monroe

Chapter One

"A fire?" I yelled, earning weird glares from my classmates.

I closed my locker and proceeded to grab the books I needed for today's homework and walked to my car.

"Are you all okay?" Everything was going so well too, I knew something had to fuck it up.

"Yes sweetie, me and your father are all fine." My mother sighed, "I was able to grab your laptop and a couple pictures and books for you before our house....burned."

I pulled the phone away before groaning and pulling it back, "Thank you mom. I'm just glad you and dad are alright. Does Grace know?"

"Grace said she would come back from her university as soon as she can, her semester just started you know." My mother repeated.

Of course I knew Grace started her last year of her Bachelor's degree, my mom wouldn't stop talking about it.

"Yale wasn't an easy school for her to get in, I tried convincing her not to come. She's off being all smart an—"

"Mom our house just burned down and all you care about is Grace living her best life in Yale?" I scoffed, dropping my books in the backseat floor.

I swung my backpack over to the passenger seat.

If only she knew how much Grace was partying at Yale.

"Oh gosh Everleigh, you know you don't need to worry about us as long as you get into a great school. You will right? Even though it's your senior year, it doesn't mean you can slack off." My mother lectured.

"I know. I know. Is the tree house alright?" I asked, curious about my favorite safe haven.

"There you go on about that treehouse if yours. You know, me and your father with Bill and Jamie built that years ago—"

"I know mom. You've told me. Now tell me, did it burn?" I anxiously tapped the steering wheel before syncing my phone to my car and listening through the speakers.

"Watch the tone Everleigh." My mother scolded, "The tree house is fine."

I let out a breathe of relief before telling my mom I would be home soon before hanging up.

Streets about two blocks away from the house were moving at a rapidly slow rate due to what I had assumed to be the fire.

Our house burned?

It couldn't have been that bad.

Wrong.

As I pulled into our street, I looked that the charred mess I called a home for the last 17 years of my life.

And I might add, it was still smoking.

"Excuse me Miss, you need to stay back." A cop informed me as I put the car in park and climb out.

"Those are my parents, this is my house." I told her, patiently waiting.

She nodded as she saw my parent wave me over, "I'm sorry about the accident." The cop said before walking off.

I made my way over to my parents who managed to collect a small pile of electronics and books stacked near them before something caught my eye. 

"Really? You decided to save the diploma but no baby pictures?" I chuckled to myself as my mother smiled at me.

"Of course! I was able to grab a scrapbook though, but that diploma was the first thing I had to get! Your sister would be so disappointed." She grinned from ear to ear.

I shook my head and looked at what was left of the house.

"So, what are we going to do?" I asked, not bothering to look at my parents.

"Well, your father plans on rebuilding the house." My mother explained, "But, the contractor said it should take about 4-6 months until we can go back to the way things were."

I nodded.

"So, are we going to be staying at a apartment for the time being?" I asked, turning to my parents this time.

"That's what I was planning." My dad started, "But Bill and Jamie offered to let us stay until the house was back up on its feet."

"Wouldn't we be imposing?" I asked, it was too much to stay in their house for 6 months.

"They insisted and said it would be no different than when we used to have those family sleepovers back when you were younger." He said making me smile at the thought.

"Of course, I will start looking for an apartment despite their hospitality due to the fact that we don't want to overstay our welcome." My dad continues.

"Alright then." I replied, "So did all the clothes burn down as well?"

My mother nodded.

I shook my head in frustration, "What started the fire anyways? How are the other houses not on fire too?"

"You see darling—" My mother started before my dad finished her sentence, "Your mother forgot to turn off the stove."

Great.

•••

There's the first chapter!

What's with no feedback :(

Just kidding! I hope y'all are enjoying this book so far! In the next couple of chapters I hope to introduce Jacob!

Please remember to vote, comment, follow, and share!

-Anne

•••

Updated: 2•4•19

Updated: 2•4•19