Chapter 11

The building starts clearing out as I watch Derek call the Sheriff and Deputy Parrish about my dad. If it was a death of a supernatural, they're the ones to call.

I'm still standing a few feet away from the body, paralyzed until a different body steps in front of me blocking my vision.

"Hey, let's get you home." He says.

I bite my lip and look up at him still holding back the tears.

"Scott, will you come with me? I-I mean just help me tell my step mom. I'm sorry I just, I don't think I can do it alone."

Scott nods and pulls me into another hug.

"Of course I will."

~~

"I don't know how I'm supposed to do this. Tell her that her husband who she was just with only hours ago is-"

"Don't worry, if you can't say it I'll jump in and take over. It's gonna be alright." Scott says.

I take a deep breath and nod a few times before taking my keys out and opening the door.

"Oh thank god your okay I was so worried!" Leah exclaims running to the door and hugging me.

She breaks away and turns to my right, expecting to see my dad, but sees Scott instead.

"Hi Mrs. Porter I'm Scott." He says.

They shake hands and my mom chuckles a little before turning to me and asking, "So where's your father?"

Scott and I both step inside the house and close the door before I speak.

"Uh, maybe you should sit down." I stutter.

Leah looks confused and she shakes her head no.

"What? No just tell me where he is?"

I swallow hard and look at Scott with pleading eyes. I didn't want to make him do this. I really thought that maybe I could, that maybe it wouldn't be too hard because, well because it's Leah! But I was all kinds of wrong.

"Mrs. Porter, he didn't make it. I'm so sorry." Scott speaks slowly and carefully, almost like he's done this before or maybe he's just used to this kind of thing happening, I don't know.

Leah's eyes widen and she shakes her head again, but more vigorously this time.

"No..no. Lacey, this isn't funny." she says sternly.

I purse my lips and let a few tears race down my face.

"He's gone." I choke.

"No, no no no no no." She shouts, grabbing her keys from the kitchen table and running out the door.

I must say I'm kind of in shock. I know that everyone deals with grief differently, but you would think that she would try to comfort me, or that we would comfort each other, but instead she just flees.

Scott hugs me for a third time and I cry on his shoulder for a few minutes before I pull away.

"She's probably just in denial. She'll be back and you guys will be able to talk I promise." He says.

"Yeah, yeah your right. That's probably all it is." I trail off, wiping my tears.

"Do you want me to stay here with you until she gets back?" He asks.

"No, it's okay, I'll be okay. Thank you though. For everything just, thank you Scott."

He sends me a small smile and puts his arm around my back as we walk over to the door.