Chapter 19

The next night, the rest of the pack decide to pay a visit to Eichen House so they can get some more information on who the men in the masks are. Apparently we're now calling them the Dread Doctors. Scott told Liam and I that we couldn't go with, I'm guessing because he thinks it's too dangerous and even though I would never admit it, I'm kind of glad. That place gives me the creeps.

So instead of walking around a crazy insane asylum, Mason and I choose to grab a bite to eat. We tried calling Liam, but he won't pick up the phone. "Did you hear what happened to Lucas?" I ask once the waitress drops off our drinks. "Someone took his body from the morgue, Tracy's body is gone too."

"Who would want steal dead bodies?" Mason says.

"I don't know. This whole thing is just getting out of hand." I sigh. "Anyway, let's change the subject." I sit up and try to be cheerful.

"Can I ask you a question?" Mason speaks up.

"Sure." I can hear his heart rate speeding up so I'm a little worried for what this is about.

"Do you have feelings for Brett?" I'm about to take a sip of my drink before I sit back up and sigh. I was not expecting that.

"Um, I don't know. Why? Do you have feelings for Brett?" I stutter.

"Oh, I- I don't know." He replies.

"Well you should tell me if you do." I shrug.

"So your just going to put me on the spot like that?" He rolls his eyes but I can tell he's just joking around.

"Your the one who asked the question!" I laugh. "And don't play dumb. I saw you two at the club last night." My smile fades a little as I turn my head and avoid making eye contact. The truth is, I don't really know how I feel about Brett. I think I still have my sights set on getting with Liam.

"To be honest, I always just thought you and Liam would become a thing. You know, after you two kissed." He says, almost like he just read my mind, but then I realize what just happened.

"Wait what did you say!" I shout.

"Uh, nothing.." He scratches the back of his head.

"Liam told you we kissed? That was supposed to stay between us!" I growl.

"Hey! We're best friends. We tell each other everything. Besides, this is Beacon Hills. It's kind of hard to keep any type of secret around here."

I sigh and lay my head on the table. "Did he like, describe it?" I ask, my voice muffled by the fabric over my arms.

"Ew, no Lacey! Its not like I would want to know the details anyway!" I lift my head up and chuckle slightly. "Anyway. If you like him, I think you should go for it." Mason nods.

"But something's been feeling a little different about him lately. Mostly when Hayden's around. What if he has feelings for her? What if I'm too late?" I pout.

"Don't be so dramatic. I'm sure he's just trying to pay off his debts from the 6th grade." He says.

"What even happened? I mean, was it really that bad?" I ask.

"I'm not telling. I'm not supposed to say anything." Mason responds.

"Mason!" I gasp. "Anyway. This was fun, but I've got to go. See ya!" He gets up and leaves a few dollars on the table before walking away. I grunt and finish off my drink before leaving as well. I don't care what it takes, I'm going to figure out what happened between them.

At school the next day Lydia hands me a copy of the book, The Dread Doctors, and lucky for me reading is kind of my thing. I end up finishing it in one period and stuff it into my bag afterwords. It was pretty boring and cheesy so I'm not really sure how that's supposed to help us at all. As I'm walking out of my class, I get a text from Mason saying to meet him out on the field. Liam is practicing lacrosse.