Chapter Twenty-Nine

Start from the beginning

"Why didn't Zeref recreate your parents?" I asked, and he quirked an eyebrow.

"I'm not sure why he chose me out of the three of us, but the spell he used was only good for one person." He shrugged, and I blinked with a pang of sorrow for him. He couldn't even remember his parents, thus their deaths didn't bother him. "It makes sense, I mean the price he paid after its use was pretty extreme."

"Obviously." I mumbled, nodding while he chuckled, "Are there a lot of your kind? Not just Dark Wizards, but Light Wizards and Demons period?"

He tilted his head, "No, not many. The Demons like me come from Zeref, and they either stay with him or are nomadic like most Dark Wizards. Only those who have given up hunting human souls, like my family, settle with a human population for a long length of time." He said, "We've only stayed with one family like ours, the family I ran off to. They're like cousins for us, and they live up in Mount Hakobe."

"What about the nomads?" I asked, and he shrugged.

"We run across a few every other year to decade." He stated, "We're positive those loose serial killers are a few of them."

I shivered, "Would it be possible for you guys to... come across them?"

"Levy's been keeping an eye out for any 'future texts' about them. We would know beforehand." He assured me, caressing the back of my hand as I sighed in partial relief.

He pulled into my driveway. Jude's car was still gone, so I was still in the clear. As I looked back at Natsu, my stomach rumbled.

"I'm sorry, love, I'm keeping you from dinner." He said softly, the back of his fiery fingers grazing my cheekbone.

I blushed, "I'm fine, really." He wasn't convinced.

"No, no. Go on and get something to eat." He said. I shook my head.

"I want to stay with you." I confessed. It was so much more easier saying it now.

He sighed, looking out to the night sky. It was evidence for how many hours we had to drive. 

"I could come in..." He suggested. It sounded more like a question though.

"Absolutely." I said, and in the next second he was outside of the car, opening my door. I chuckled, "Great way to be human."

He laughed his beautiful laugh, "Oh, it's definitely resurfacing."

He reached the door ahead of me and opened it after using Jude's hidden-mat-key. 

"Um... I've never used that key in front of you before, mister." I accused, and he rolled his eyes.

"So spying on you sets you off, but climbing into your room at night doesn't?" He accused right back.

I rose an eyebrow, "Touché." I said, and we walked inside. Immediately, I dove into the fridge and fished out the leftover lasagna. Natsu sat down at the kitchen table and watched me prepare it, "So other than protecting me, what's the thrill of watching over me at night?" I asked suddenly. He chuckled.

"Well, you do talk every now and then." He said, and I dropped the large fork I held.

"What?" I asked, horrified.