8. The Other Side of the Coin

Start from the beginning

 “I thought Freddie had basketball practice today with his friends? Do you want to join them?”

 “Oh.” Conner stared at his sister. “Well, since I'm terrible at basketball, I think I shouldn't be there… guess that leaves the library.”

 “Or my house.”

 The Bailey twins spun to look at a nonchalant Bree, the one who had just spoken.

 To be honest, Bree had been pondering the idea of Conner staying at her house for quite a while. It seemed like a convenient solution, as Conner could have a place to go to, and she could not-so-secretly observe him more. And see if she could find out who Conner was crushing on. Bree wasn't trying to access her competition or do something weirdly possessive, she was just curious.

 Oh damn, Bree wasn't even convincing herself.

 (Bree was such a stalker.)

 Alex looked taken aback at the idea, while Conner was completely frozen. Alex marched forward, grabbed Bree by the shoulder, and whispered in her ear, “Bree, thank you very much for your hospitality, but I don't think it's necessary for Conner to stay. You know how he is.”

 The mental image of Conner belting I'll Make a Man Out of You with wild abandon slipped into Bree's head again, and she held back a chuckle. “No worries, I don't mind. And my sisters won't bother us much as they'll either be outside or stuck in their room.”

 Conner was still staring at Bree, eyes wide and mouth agape. Did Bree Campbell, the coolest girl in their year, just invite him to her house? Did he die and enter heaven (if there was one)?

 Alex now stepped close to Conner and muttered, “Just behave, okay? Don't humiliate yourself.”

 “I-I'm not a child, Alex,” Conner mumbled, rather dissatisfied with his sister's patronizing treatment. He mumbled a “thank you” to Bree.

 “You two ready to go?” Bree asked. As Conner’s somewhat flushed face popped up, Bree instinctively tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. She immediately berated herself for that. You idiot! You know from online blogs that the “tucking hair behind ear” or “playing with hair” is a very typical sign of female flirting! And you don't want anyone to know about your crush!

 “Yes, sure.” Alex was quick to reply. Due to her mad hunt for her key early on, her belongings were hastily scattered across the desk again. She stuffed them back in her bag, with Conner occasionally trying to help. Alex appreciated Conner’s effort and care, but he was so disorganized and he kept putting her stuff in the wrong compartments. Nonetheless, Alex finished quickly, and the trio were ready go.

 A few girls whispered among themselves as Conner, Alex and Bree walked past them. Bree watched them out of her peripheral vision, cool brown eyes narrowing slightly. Those girls were the so-called “popular” ones, people with totally average looks masquerading themselves as the goddesses of the world and with their noses always stuck in shiny phones, making snobbish remarks at everyone. Bree thought they were probably gossiping about her, and why she was walking with the two weirdos, the Bailey twins. She knew the twins were hiding something, which most likely had something to do with their funny aura, but it probably wasn’t something shameful or horrifying. Sure, Alex may hug books, but Bree knew she was a kind person. And Conner, even with his crazy, silly antics, still meant the best for everyone. So, as Bree tilted her nose up higher, there was nothing embarrassing about being seen with the Bailey twins. Heck, she would rather spend her time with these two very interesting people than those “popular” people.

 Meanwhile, Conner was freaking out. His hands were doused with sweat, as if the Niagara Falls were gushing out from his very skin. He didn’t know what to do; he could either glance quickly at Bree for many, many times, or he could avoid her completely. He somehow simultaneously wanted to do both. Bree’s very presence was killing him yet breathing life in him at the same time. His heart pounded in an erratic rhythm, and he did his best to stop a joyful smile from quirking up his lips. Deciding he could no longer bear it anymore, he shot Bree a swift look, hoping to memorize every feature on her face. Oh hell, why was he behaving like that? All traces of thought disappeared when he saw her, with her captivating brown eyes and blue and pink bangs falling gracefully over her forehead. Conner gulped, and turned away stiffly.