Ch.19 ~ Calm Me

Jay's POV

I can't take it anymore, I can't lose her.

My mother is the only person who actually cared for my siblings and I. She risked her life to save us after my fathers death. She always gave us the little bit of food we were able to hunt while she got close to none.

I couldn't contain myself when I found out that she has been going through something, something beyond saving. Wolves are able to fight off diseases and illnesses like it's nothing since our bodies are stronger than that of a human. However, when a wolf becomes so weak and vulnerable, that strength and resistance to disease can be damaged, a wolf can be prone to anything.

My mother was so weak from doing her best trying to help us, that she started to slowly die off. When I visited her the other day I smelled what I could only describe as death. After asking her what was happening, I realized that this wasn't just any disease, this is cancer.

Leukemia, the cancer that killed a human friend of mine when I was just a pup. They only lived a few months after finding out and I was devastated when I heard about her death. I know mom doesn't have much time left, I can sense it. Last night I passed out in Andrew's arms, completely exhausted from the continuous thought of her sudden death lingering in my head.

When I came to, I was still wrapped in Andrew's muscular arms. He looks so tired, his eyes are red and I can see the bags that surround them. He must have stayed up to make sure I was ok. He is such a caring and selfless person, I am so proud to have him as my mate.

He starts stirring awake and releases his hold just enough for me to sit up. His eyes dart to me and he is instantly sitting up next to me, asking me what was wrong.

"Jay, are you ok? What happened last night? Why were you crying? Did someone say something to you or hurt you in any way?" He was going absolutely insane with the amount of questions he was spurting out in less than 10 seconds.

"Andrew-" I stopped his rant. "I'm fine, I am ok." I empathize the 'I' to give him a clue that it isn't me who is suffering.

"Does it have to do with your family?" He asks making me think of my mother again. I start to tear up and can't help but let out a small whimper before leaning into Andrew and crying on his shoulder.

"I-It's my mom. S-She is really s-sick and I can't d-do anything to help her." I say in between sobs. I look up and meet his eyes before I finally say "she has leukemia." His eyes widen in shock before he engulfs me in a bear hug.

I just breakdown in his hold as he rubs soothing shapes on my back. After a good 10 minutes I finally start to calm down. Andrew grabs my face and presses his lips against mine. My eyes shoot open from the sudden contact but they slowly close as I melt against his touch.

He pulls away once I've calmed down completely and presses his forehead against mine, his hands still holding my cheeks.

"It's going to be ok, she is a strong and independent woman who is going to fight through this. I will have the pack doctors keep and eye on her and make sure that she is better in no time." His voice is so sincere and gentle that it makes me feel like I can believe anything that comes from his soft lips.

I nod my head as he easily lifts me up bridal style and heads downstairs. "Let's get you something to eat and then we can visit your mom." He kisses my cheek before setting me down on a chair as he walks into the kitchen to prepare breakfast. He is quite a good cook if I do say so myself. He makes waffles with cut up strawberries and whipped cream on top and a cup of hot tea.

I eat slowly like usual but this time I finish off the plate since I'm feeling a little better about seeing my mom. Andrew looks a little surprised but I just smirk at him and quickly steal a kiss before I run off to the front door.

I hear heavy footsteps behind me and out of no where strong arms wrap around my waist and I'm being lifted in the air. I squeal at the sudden action and start giggling when he tickles my sides.

"Don't just steal a kiss and not expect me to steal one back." He teasingly says as he puts me down. We make eye contact for what felt like 5 full minutes before he leans down and captures my lips.

I melt into his touch and let him slip his tongue in. He makes me feel so happy, just being in his arms is so calming. He helps me to forget all the sad and painful moments I have gone through in my life.

After a while he pulls away and rests his forehead against mine. "Let's go see your mom." He says gently and I give a quick 'ok' before he leans back and starts walking out the door with me following.

Goddess thank you for such an amazing mate.

~~~~~~~~

Sorry I have been kind of slow with updating! I have been super busy at my job and haven't really had the time with school and work being piled into my free time. I will try to keep updating at least a few times a week so don't worry.

I hope everyone is enjoying the book as much as I enjoy making it! Also look forward to a possible 2nd book being published in the next few weeks...