Behold

Nick POV

I was surprised at how excited I was waiting to read that results letter lying on Demi's lap. I didn't understand it, really. I mean I was 22, at a point in my career where I was on top of the world again & I was about to have my world turned upside down by a baby. Sure, I had thought about being a dad, mostly when I was around my niece, but I never thought it would be something I had to think about now or even in the near future. I figured that would be way way in my future. I always imagined I'd be in my thirties before I had kids.

As I stared into Demi's eyes, both of us preparing ourselves for the real news we were about to read, I took a deep breath. "Do you care what it is?" I asked in a hushed tone, not wanting to disturb the tranquility of this moment.

Demi shook her head & tilted it just a little as she looked down at the paper on her lap. "Not at all. Do you?"

"Nope. I just want it to be healthy."

"Can you picture us with a baby?" Demi asked, glancing up at the sky that was getting darker as the sun was setting behind the horizon.

I chuckled, leaning my head to hers. "Not really. But I guess if I close my eyes & picture you holding my baby, I picture it as a girl. And she looks like a mini Demi."

I watched her teeth come over her bottom lip in the cutest way as she lifted her shoulder & smiled at me. "I picture a mini Nick." She grinned at me, then held the letter up, opened, so we could read it. "Let's see what it says..... " She made a little noise like a drum roll. "Behold.... the news we have waited for." She glanced at me, smirking as she shrugged her shoulders. "Well, the second bit of news we were waiting for." She laughed, then held the letter so we could both see it.

I scanned the piece of paper until I read the part about what the gender of the baby was. It was difficult to read with all the medical terminology, but the line that stuck out to me was, "The results of this test conclude the tested fetus is male." I sucked my breath in & Demi looked at me just after I read it. She must have read it, too, judging by the smile on her face.

"It's a boy." She whispered, a tear glistening in her eye.

I blinked several times, trying to wrap my head around the fact that I was going to have a son. I didn't care if it had been a girl, honestly, but I was excited now that I was going to have a boy that I could teach everything I knew. I could teach him all about music & sports. Not that I couldn't have done that with a girl, but at least with a boy, I wouldn't have to force it, hopefully, anyway. A boy. I could have a mini me. I was going to be his biggest influence in his life. Suddenly, I felt like I couldn't breathe. What if I fuck him up? What if he turns to drugs because I was away so often during his childhood because I was touring? What if he wanted to be an actor at a young age? I could feel a panic attack come over me. I had never had one, but this is what it felt like was happening to me.

Demi's face looked concerned now as she watched my face. "Babe? You okay?" She asked.

I shook my head & wiped my brow. I moved the collar of my shirt rapidly to get some air flow on my skin. I was feeling warm as the panic washed over me. I was sweating & my heart was beating so hard in my chest. "I'm going to have a son." I managed to choke out. I reached for a bottle of water, wishing I had something stronger, & took a long gulp. Demi was watching me with an amused but confused smile on her face. When I looked at her, she chuckled. "It's not funny. What if I mess him up?" I asked, gasping after I swallowed another swig of water.

Demi laughed out loud, like she heard the funniest thing ever. "How the hell would you mess him up? Nick, you're one of the most decent human beings on the planet. You're one of the most sweet & smart & talented & funny & sincere & moral guys I've ever known."