Chapter Twenty Seven

Start from the beginning

"YOU WHAT!" I shouted, the echo bouncing off the empty pack hall walls. "There is no way in hell I am letting you willingly give yourself up to those monsters do you hear me Annabelle? No way." I let go of her shoulders and started pacing around the stage area, needing to move to trying and release the anger and adrenaline that was surging through me. How could she do this to me? To us?

Annabelle sighed and took my hand into hers, halting me in my tracks. "It's for the best Jax, this way no one will get hurt because of me. These... people... will not only let your brother and the rest of the pack members go but also my parents. It is the least I could do after they have suffered for so long" she explained, a pained edge to her tone of voice.

"No. No, no, no I am not letting you serve yourself up to them and that is the end of this conversation. Now if you all will excuse me I need to go and inform the elders of the development" I ground out, trying my best to keep my tone in check.

Annabelle reached out to me, presumably in the hopes to calm me down and hear her out, but I just brushed her off and stormed outside. There was no way I was going to let her serve herself up on a golden platter to these people. There had to be some other way to save my brother and the rest of my pack without handing over my life line there just had to be, and I was going to find it.

After all it was my fault they'd gotten caught in the first place, sending them out into the territories of potentially very dangerous wolves without backup or a clear plan of what to do if something went wrong. I was a terrible Alpha, blinded by the needs of my mate over the needs of my pack.

"You okay there son?" My dad asked as he appeared behind me.

I laughed at his question. "Do I look alright to you? I have pack members and a brother missing on one hand and a mate who is so willing to give herself up she's willing to risk everything that we have built on the other. I am far from okay."

"Well for now let's just focus on one thing at a time okay? Your mate is perfectly safe at the moment, we are all keeping an eye on her so just take a breath and focus on getting your brother back alright? I will call the elders and inform them of the situation we are currently in whilst you talk to some of the pack warriors and get a plan together. We know their rough location thanks to the map so we will just sweep those areas until we find something."

I sighed, nodding my head in understanding. I really needed to learn to keep my head in a stressful situation if I ever want to become as good an alpha as my father had been. "Thank you dad; I really appreciate your experience and level headedness in all this".

Dad smiled and clapped me on the back. "No problem, now let's get back to your mate before she starts to worry about you.

I smiled back and nodded as we walked back into the main hall where I found Annabelle sitting on a vacant bench, fiddling with her fingers and jittering her legs. As soon as she saw me she released a mall sigh before getting up and walking over to me, relieved that I had come back.

I took her in my arms and places my nose against the side of her head, hoping her scent would aid in calming both me and my wolf down. If I wanted to come up with a reasonable plan of action, I'd have to learn to remain calm and collect under the pressure.

"So what now?" She whispered into my chest as she questioned our next move. "we're going to have to come up with something and fast if we want to stop more people from getting taken".

"That's assuming they'll even get that far" I said as I smiled into her hair. "They've now told us what their plan is, all we have to do is make sure everyone stays in lockdown and away from the borders of the territory. If we do this then the mystery guy would have no hope in getting their hands of more leverage" I explained.