32. Brisk Evenings

The previous events replayed in my head as I thought about all that happened. I could surrender to all this drama and move on - that was the easy way out - or I could give Dylan another chance.

Should I follow my head or my heart?

"Dylan, I..." I paused mid-sentence. "I know we've been through a lot, but..."

His sad eyes looked down at the floor.

I took a deep breath. "But I want you to know that I care about you...and I want you to have another chance."

"Really?" He looked up at me surprised.

I nodded. "I know life isn't always easy, but I know from experience that the best view always comes from the hardest climb."

Dylan sighed in relief. He pulled me close and engulfed me in his strong arms. Gosh, I've missed him.

The silence between us was just what we needed. From up close, I could see the painful cuts and bruises that marred his arms and face from the fight with Carter.

"I don't feel them anymore," he insisted as I softly touched his cheek.

"Are you just acting tough?" I teased.

He smiled and shook his head. "They're healing with time."

He was right. Not only did the physical scars heal, the emotional ones began to heal as well.

For the next few months, life slowly returned back to the routine of the past, only this time we were stronger.

Not long after, we left for our trip for two in the snow-covered New York City, just in time for Christmas. We walked through Time Square, took quite a few carriage rides, and had the authentic New York cuisine.

While we were there, Dylan had been given the honor from his superiors to meet with some important Naval Officers that were on business in New York. That day, Dylan gave me some free time while he was away to do some extra girly things in the City, like going to the spa and shopping in the fancy boutiques. We met up before dusk in Central Park after his busy day of meetings.

I bought a crimson trench coat and a little black dress with a new pair of black pumps for dinner.

"Hey, love," he greeted me as I found him at the park bench where we had planned to meet. I gave him a quick kiss.

The smell of warm cinnamon and hot chocolate wafted through the air. It was definitely Christmas time.

Dylan wore a black coat with a cream shirt and a navy tie. His brown hair was styled perfectly.

"Wanna take a little stroll?" He asked me.

"I'd love to," I smiled as we began to walk along the sidewalk. We could see our breath in the cold.

"How did your meetings go?" I asked him.

"Really great," he grinned. "Steph, they asked me to become a Navy Seal."

"That's such an honor, babe, I'm so proud of you!" I exclaimed. I couldn't stop smiling. This is what he had ultimately been working toward his entire career.

"As a seal, however, they have assigned me to serve at a base overseas."

Inside, my heart sank. As excited as I was for him, I knew what life could be like. Kevin served his time on a base in a different area for almost a year.

"How long will you be away?" I asked softly.

"Between 6 and 8 months. Then I could transfer back to the US."

I took a deep breath. "I'm really proud of you," I leaned on his chest as we walked.

"I know what you're thinking," he turned to me and let his fingers tilt my chin up to face him.

"What am I thinking?" I smirked.

"How tough that time will be when we're apart." He looked into my eyes. "But I know we can do this, Steph."

"When will you leave?" I asked him.

"In four months. So we still have some time to be together."

"I've never been more proud," I began. "That's such an honor, babe."

We strolled along the path in silence, taking in the scenery around us.

"Steph, a year ago, I wouldn't have cared about leaving home or going away for such a long period of time, but then I found you."

It all felt so surreal as I took in the words he said.

"When we met for the first time in high school, I had no idea that I would come to love such a talented, beautiful, and caring woman. I have loved spending each moment with you, and while it certainly hasn't been easy, I wouldn't trade any of it for the world."

He kneeled down next to a bench and continued.

"Stephanie Grace Canton, there is no one else in this world that I could imagine spending the rest of my life with."

From his trench coat pocket, he took out a light blue box with the words "Tiffany & Co." inscribed on the lid. As he opened it, a sparkling diamond ring lay inside.

"Will you marry me?"

I gasped as the words registered in my mind. The most tender hearted man just asked me to marry him.

"Yes, of course!" I exclaimed. I now noticed that a small crowd had gathered as he slid the diamond onto my finger. We both had the biggest grins on our faces.

He stood to his feet and wrapped his strong arms around my waist. He pulled me towards him and pressed his warm lips into mine. Time seemed to stop in the moments that followed. I was going to become Mrs. Carson.

A/N: AHHH finally!! I hope the long awaited chapter was worth it!! I'd love for you to vote and comment if you're enjoying the story. Also I'd just like to say thanks to YOU!! I am so honored that we have reached 10K reads on this story! I never imagined such amazing things could happen :) You're so amazing; thank you for being such a dedicated reader. There's more to come for Dylan and Steph!! Stay tuned -Elizabeth