28. Navy Dances

After changing and fixing my hair and makeup in the bathroom, I felt like a new person. Kate had instructed Dylan to bring all my getting ready essentials.

As a little girl, I had learned how to braid my hair in many different ways. I styled it formally with a milkmaid braid and pinned smaller braids up in the back to create an updo.

"You look beautiful," Dylan watched in awe as we walked to the car. He handed me bobby pins for my hair.

I grinned and gave him a soft kiss on the cheek. "Your cousins helped me pick out the dress."

He intertwined his fingers in mine.

"You know, babe, I'm going to be protective of you tonight. I don't want anything to happen to you, especially with all the weird things that have been happening lately," he said as we began walking toward his truck. I was glad to have his comfort and protection.

As we entered the banquet hall, I noticed the room was filled with executive-looking business people talking nonchalantly over tall glasses of champagne.

We followed the path to the spacious main room filled with young navy officers and their dates.

I stood at the door with Dylan scanning the crowd for familiar faces.

"Can I meet you at the bar in a few minutes, love?" Dylan asked me seriously as he slowly loosened his grip on my hand. "There's someone I need to talk to."

I nodded. "Of course."

I didn't pay much attention to which direction Dylan went because I caught a glimpse of Kate's face on the dance floor.

I weaved my way through the crowded sea of people in order to talk to her. However, the music got louder and the number of people on the dance floor grew, causing me to lose sight of Kate.

I retreated to finding the nearest bathroom upstairs. The second floor was filled with chatting couples and friendly coworkers. I finally spotted the bathroom, when I overheard a familiar voice around the small secluded corner.

"Is Stephanie here?" I heard Carter's voice ask. I froze in my tracks.

"Look, it doesn't matter anymore. I can't go through with this," I heard Dylan say.

"What the heck, man? We've been planning this for weeks, you can't just back out now," Carter began. I felt my cheeks flush.

"I'll give you all the money you want myself, Carter. I'm backing out," Dylan replied.

"It was your idea in the first place," I heard Carter trail on.

I couldn't bear listening anymore. I ran down the steps toward the door. I couldn't believe what I had just heard. Dylan and Carter had been betting on me.

My tear-filled eyes no longer helped me see where I was going. I desceded the stairs too quickly, and suddenly, I slammed into someone. My feet swept out from under me, and I found myself on the cold hard ground.

"Why are you in my way, Stephanie?" I heard Anna's drunk voice in front of me.

"Get out of here, Anna." I heard Landon retort as I felt a strong hand pull me up.

"Are you alright?" Landon asked me gently. "Your cheeks look flushed." He gestured toward a small bar table and chair for me to sit on.

"Not really. I need to go home," I began.

"Here, let me go find Dylan for you--" Landon offered.

"No, wait," I interrupted. "Maybe you could find a girl named Kate instead? Long blonde hair, light blue dress, silver heels. You can't miss her."

"No problem," Landon replied. "Don't move."

I felt a tear stream down my face as I quickly wiped it away. I should have known better than to trust another man.

"Hey, little one," I heard Dylan's voice from behind me. "I've been looking all over for you." His large hands reached for my waist, but I pushed them away.

I slowly stood up to turn and face him. I felt my world crumbling in front of me once again.

A/N: Hello, lovely readers! So you know that Wattpad author that doesn't update for two months? *cough cough* Well she's trying to do better, I promise. ;) I'll update more often now that finals are over. I'm so grateful for each and every one of you who make this story happen. Your votes and comments mean the world to me! Hope you all are having a beautiful day! - Elizabeth