real life

"I thought women weren't supposed to get their periods when they were pregnant," Harry whispered into Sam's ear as they sat around the dining table, noting the blood stain on the back of Kits light wash jeans as she stood peeling carrots with Paddy at the kitchen counter.
Sam shook his head, leaning away from Harry and towards his mother. He nudged her with his elbow, disrupting her conversation with his father.

"Mum, she's bleeding," Sam said quietly, nodding his head in his sister in laws direction.
Her eyes widened as she acknowledged the bleeding and stood up quickly, the wooden chair scraping along the kitchen tiles, waking Tessa from her nap on the floor. She shrugged her cardigan off as she came up behind Kit and wrapped it around her waist. 

"Sweetheart," she whispered calmly. "Come upstairs, love." 

Kit dropped the half-peeled carrot onto the chopping board, Sam standing up to take over the task as Nikki took her into Toms old bedroom, still confused as to why she now had her mother in laws cardigan around her, the knot she tied resting just below the very swollen belly. 

"Honey, you're bleeding, did you know you were bleeding?" She asked.
The panic in Kits eyes told her she didn't.
"Don't panic, love, don't panic." She sat her down on the bed as she fumbled in the drawers for some spare trousers for Kit to wear.
"Put these on sweetheart, I've got sanitary towels in the cupboard under the sink, okay?" Kit nodded.
"Are you feeling any pain, sweetie?" She asked, her voice was gentle.
"No, no," Kit half stuttered. "I didn't even know I was bleeding." Her voice was shaky.

"Alright, listen," Nikki sat down next to Kit. "I'm going to drive you to the hospital okay? I'm sure it's going to be nothing, some women bleed sometimes during their pregnancy but we'll just get you checked out okay. You haven't had a bleed before?"
Kit shook her head, biting down on her lip to try and stop the tears. Nikki smiled at her, some sadness in the eyes, as she pulled her into a hug.
"It's alright."

"You should phone Tom," Kit said, her voice coming out as a whisper.
"I will do, poppet. Go and get changed, I'll try and get hold of him."

Tom was currently filming Spiderman: Far from home, and right now he was on the other side of London. The Holland family had planned a family dinner for when he and her father got home this evening. This would be the last time he would have to work before the baby arrived. Kit was almost eight months pregnant now and it had been easy, and although the doctors had noticed she was carrying twins while being a little under weight, they hadn't had any major concerns. Until now.

Kit was rushed to the maternity ward almost as soon as Nikki had told them the situation. They ran tests and performed scans and talked in hushed tones across the room as she lay in an uncomfortable bed, still bleeding.

"I can't reach him, or his manager," Nikki said, smoothing out Kits messy hair. "There mustn't be any service in the studio."
Kit felt a small pain in her lower stomach, her hand moving to the spot instantly. Nikki's hand held her free hand as the doctor came closer to them.
"Mrs Holland," he said. Both of the Holland women looked towards him. "There's no easy way to say this," he continued. Kits hand squeezed Nikki's a little tighter. She knew what was coming as he cleared his throat.
"I'm afraid you've suffered a miscarriage." 

Kit didn't hear what he said after that. His medical babble became white noise as she felt her heart shatter. The tears that had been threatening to fall finally spilled and she longed for Tom by her side.Kit hadn't noticed the doctor leave until she was brought back from her daze by the sound of Nikki's phone ringing from her coat pocket. She fumbled with the buttons, answering her son's call.

"Mum?" Tom's muffled voice came through the phone. "I've got twelve missed calls, is everything alright?"
Kits heart ached. He had no idea what was about to hit him.
"Tom," Nikki said quietly. "You need to get to the hospital as soon as you can, love."
"W-why what's going on?"
"Tom,it's- it's the babies, they're gone, Tom."
"Gone? Gone? What do you mean gone?" He said, the panic rising in his voice.
"Kit had a miscarriage."
"No" Tom whispered, barely audible.
"Tom just get to the hospital."
"Is she okay? Mum, is Kit okay?"
"She's fine, sweetheart, she's right next to me in bed. They're going to take her into surgery soon. Just hurry, love." She sighed sadly. "She needs you, Tom."
"I'm on my way." Tom replied before quickly hanging up.

Kit was soon brought down for surgery. Shortly after she left Tom came into the hospital with Robert close behind. Nikki stood up as she seen them come towards her.

"Mum." Tom said, nearly in tears.
"Shh, come here." She stated, pulling her oldest son into her arms as he cried.
"Everything was going great." Tom said into his mothers shoulder.
"I know sweetheart.But this couldn't of been stopped." Nikki whispered as she kissed her cheek.

"Hows Katherine?" Robert asked someone causing the two to turn to see the doctor standing by RDJ.
"She's asleep in the theater. I would advise that her significant other stay with her while we wait for her to wake."
"Tom, stay with her. We'll go back to the others and explain what happened to avoid it being harder for the two of you." Nikki stated.
"Thanks mom." Tom nodded before following the doctor to his wifes room.

Tom stayed by Kits side while he waited for her to wake up. His hair was messy from where his fingers had ran through it. He held her hand while his head rested in his other .

"Tom," Kit croaked.
"Sweetheart," he said, almost jumping out of his seat to be closer to his wife.
He held her hand, stroking it with his thumb.
"I'm so sorry," She sobbed, unable to control the fresh tears.
He hugged you gently, kissing her hair as he soothed her.
"It's okay, darling. It's not your fault."
"I- I just- I don't know what happened. It was all fine, and, and then, and then it wasn't," Kit cried into his chest.
"Mum explained everything, love. It's okay." Tom replied.
Kit shook her head, leaning back into the bed. Tom was trying not to cry, he wanted to be strong for his wife.
"It's not okay, Tom. Our baby girls are dead!" She cried some more while Tom tried to quieten her. "We were gonna be so happy. And I ruined everything."
"It's not your fault, babe. Please don't blame yourself. They said there was nothing you did wrong. Absolutely nothing. Alright?" He kissed her forehead. "You're okay, sweetheart, that's all that matters right now, okay?"

The truth was, Tom was cut up inside. Both of them were. The two of them sat in silence for a while, until a nurse came in, interrupting the quiet. She was cheery, doing her best to lighten a damp mood. After checking her over, they were allowed home.

Tom guided Kit into the silent house, hurrying to shut the nursery door before she walked past. He helped her into bed before climbing in next to her so she could cuddle into him. The two of them cried silently as they grieved for their baby girls who they never got to hold.