like to be you

y/n's pov:

it wasn't the fact that shawn wasn't right next to me the whole night at the songwriter's banquet, it was the fact he was not being 'present' with me. he acknowledged me once, and it was only because i won female songwriter of the year for the work i did on his album.

he was too busy with a new female friend.

if you were to ask me, a woman putting their hands on a taken man and subtly flirting with him is not okay, but i'm sure if you ask shawn's new friend, she would certainly think it was fine.

the moment shawn and i left the banquet, not a single word came out of my mouth. he started talking to me like normal on our way to the car, but when i wouldn't respond to his comments or questions, he took the hint to shut up.

shawn's pov:

i couldn't take the silence any longer when we arrived at our apartment.

"why are you so quiet?" i asked y/n while putting my coat in the small closet by the door, "is everything okay?"

"no, shawn," she said after taking a big deep breath, "everything is not okay,"

she then proceeded to tell me about how all night i was letting a woman put her hands all over me while she continuously flirted with me.

"victoria is the head of publicity at island. plus, she's just a friend," i told y/n once she finished her whole speech.

y/n started taking off her jewelry, "so you're trying to tell me victoria is just a really good friend?"

i rolled my eyes, "yes, y/n,"

"so her being very touchy with you tonight was just her being friendly?" she asked surprised, "then when geoff presented me with my award tonight, which you barely supported me for, i should've been all handsy with him too,"

"stop," i said somewhat harshly, "it's not like she was touching me inappropriately,"

she rubbed her face in frustration, "that was inappropriate on so many different levels,"

"darling, i'm tired, you're tried," i said while walking to our bedroom, "let's call it a truce and go to bed,"

"are you seriously trying to not fight me on this? you think you're right so we're just going to not talk about it?" y/n yelled while i went into our shared closet and changed.

"what do you want me to do, y/n? everything has been done and is in the past, there's nothing i can do!" i said while putting on sweats.

y/n tilted her head, "you can tell your so-called friend that you have a girlfriend!"

"she knows," i responded while taking off my shirt, "our relationship is known by the public,"

"then she clearly didn't give a shit about our relationship, shawn," she said with tears building up in her eyes, which quickly released when she blinked, "and neither did you,"

before i could say anything, she walked away. the apartment was silent, but all you could hear was her heels coming in contact with our wooden floors before stopping at what i think was the couch in the living room.

i went to sit on our shared bed and think. i put my head in my hands and let my thoughts take over me. i knew y/n was right and i had deeply hurt her. victoria was being very touchy and i definitely should have stopped her, but the thought of victoria getting upset about it and possibly ruining my career was scary to me.

but i really should've realized at the moment that losing my relationship with y/n was even scarier since we had been having many fights lately. i never really took into consideration how she would feel.

y/n's pov:

after spending some time in the living room thinking about what was said, i decided to get ready for bed since i was too heated to when i was in the closet with shawn.

i walked into our bedroom and saw him with his head in his hands before he looked up and noticed me.

before he could say anything, i rushed to our closet and got out of my heels and gown before putting on one of his hoodies and slipping on some fuzzy socks. i then went to our bathroom and washed my face and did my whole skincare routine which i made take longer than usual.

while i was undoing my hair, i realized if shawn did speak up to the girl, there's a chance she could've ruined him and his reputation, but that still didn't make anything okay.

once i finished, i turned off the lights and headed to my side of the bed. i put my phone to charge and rested my head on the headboard. i was about to turn off my bedside lamp when shawn spoke.

"i'm so sorry," he said while putting a hand on my leg.

i sighed while looking away from him, "i'm sure you are,"

"i truly am," he said with sincerity, "i didn't see what was wrong with the whole situation at that moment, i didn't see a problem,"

"it's because you didn't take into consideration how i felt at that moment," i said while making eye contact with him.

"please tell me how you feel, put me in your shoes," he said while holding both of my hands with his, "i need to put myself in your position, in your head,"

"would you like it if some guy put his hands all over me and i allowed it?" i asked while tilting my head.

"no," he responded quickly, "i would hate it,"

"exactly, i feel the same," i said while taking one of my hands out of his and running it through my hair, "that just was not okay and i'm happy you understand that now because if you didn't, there would be no point for this relationship,"

shawn sat up straight and cupped my face with his hands, "yeah, i one hundred percent get it now. nothing about that was okay,"

i shed a tear which was quickly removed by shawn's thumb before giving him a small smile and turning off my bedside lamp, "good,"

shawn then turned off his bedside lamp off and followed me under the covers. he put his arm around me and i snuggled into his chest.

"i love you so much, y/n," he said while running a hand through my hair before kissing my forehead.

i kissed lips before resting my head back on his chest, "i love you too, shawn,"

author's note:
thank you for reading my fifth chapter in imagining | shawn mendes. hello!! i hope you enjoyed this chapter. sorry this came at an awkward time lol, it's still a busy time for me. i'm almost on summer break, so that means teachers are being assholes and giving me a lot of things to do before finals. so i'm sorry if you don't get regular updates until mid june. anyways, please don't forget to follow my instagram @bad.reputation13 and make sure to vote and comment on this chapter. love you all and see you for 'fallin' all in you'.
xx, c