I Won't See You Tonight

En başından başla

"I will." Physically she'd be fine. There wasn't a single member of this crew that would ever lay a hand on her after all of her time reigning in the hot-headed Prince. Emotionally Aelita was already breaking. It was a matter of moments until Appa was practically on top of the ship. Many of the crew members looked on in amazement at the beast flying above them. She had never been more thankful to know Zuko was gone. Appa gracefully glided as close to the deck as he could the Aelita jumped. She landed with a roll and popped up to her knees, looking up just in time to see the bison fly up out of sight into the sunset-stained clouds above.

"Aelita! What happened?" Jee, the ship's lieutenant, rushed over and helped her to her feet. "Why are you with the Avatar?" 

"He saved my life." She answered honestly. "The volcano started to erupt and I didn't make it to the boat in time. We passed them sailing this way, everyone else is fine. I'm tired, Lieutenant." Aelita brushed the older man off and headed towards the interior. "If you have any other questions report them to the Prince when he gets back. I want no disturbances."

"As you wish." Jee bowed to the young girl. Zuko pushed her too damn hard.

Once Aelita was inside the main hall she took off running. She didn't have any time to waste and she was happy to see the interior empty with no one to stop her. She was almost to her room when she rounded a corner and nearly ran smack into Iroh.

"Aelita, what are you doing back already? " He grasped her shoulders and helped her regain her balance. "Where is my nephew? Why aren't you with him?" 

Aelita could hear the panic in his voice and the guilt barreled her over like a komodo rhino. Her eyes fell to the floor because she couldn't bear to completely lie to his face. 

"He's alright Iroh." She assured and moved to step past the man to her door. "We got separated when the temple started coming down and the volcano erupted. The monk saw me stranded and took pity on me I guess. He could've left me to die but he brought me back here instead."

"And where's Zuko? His men?"

"We passed their boat heading this way." Aelita paused at the door. "I could see Zuko from the bison's saddle. The Avatar was smart enough to refuse to drop me off directly to him. Zuko probably would've tried to shoot them right out of the sky."

"That he would've. " Iroh laughed a deep, fully bellied laugh. "You know him well."

"He should be back soon," Aelita assured as she started to push her door open. "But all this excitement has me dead on my feet. Can we talk tomorrow Iroh?" There would be no tomorrow for them.

"Of course," Iroh assured. He noticed the slightest tension in Aelita's shoulders when he reached out reassuringly but he assumed it came from the stress of the day. She was indeed strong but some days he couldn't help to be reminded of just how young she was. "I'm just happy you're safe and I know my nephew will be too. I cannot tell you enough how thankful I am that you're in his life. He'd be lost without you."

"Yeah uh, I'd be lost without him too." Aelita forced herself to choke back the tears that threatened to fall. She would be so lost. Her heart was breaking. 

"I'll go fetch you some tea." Iroh pulled back and headed down the hall. "You get some rest. A  woman needs her rest."

"Iroh," Aelita called and the man stopped. "Thank you, for everything. We're lucky to have you."

"I'm the lucky one." Iroh smiled warmly before going about his way.

As soon as he was gone Aelita pushed into her room and closed the door behind her. Happy to see his human home Mushu scurried up her leg and perched himself over her shoulders, nuzzling the side of her face.

"We have to hurry buddy. " Aelita told him without stopping moving.  "Our destiny lies somewhere outside of this ship." She worked around the ferret and stripped off the outer layers of her armor. Traveling with the Avatar she wanted to look as inconspicuous as possible so they didn't draw unnecessary attention to themselves. She left on the normal grey shirt and pants that she wore underneath the protective layers and slid a dark burgundy vest over top. Not knowing if she'd need it again Aelita folded the armor and shoved it deep in her pack with some easy-to-reach clothing. Glancing down at her bed she saw the familiar tunic she had yet to give back to her Prince. On a whim, she packed it too. 

"Come here, buddy." She picked up Mushu from her shoulders and tucked him into one of the front pockets of the bag. "It's gonna be a bumpy ride." She explained as she tied the pocket shut with enough room for his head to peak out. "You'll be safe in here. It's time for us to go."

The Avatar would be back for her any moment now. Aelita slugs the bag over her shoulders and with one last look around the room, she closed her door for the last time. Clutching her letter to Zuko she made her way into his room.  Her mind was flooded by the memories of all of the nights she had started to spend in this bed instead of her own. Laughing. Smiling. Kissing. Touching. Whispering. Loving. 

"Please understand." Aelita pleaded to no one as she placed the note on top of his pillow. She was out of time. She had to leave. When she reached the balcony of the ship the sun was sinking further and further beneath the ocean that surrounded her. She clutched the railing and searched the sky for the bison that should be here any minute now. The events of the day had taken a toll on the fighter. She never even heard the footsteps approaching behind her. 

"Aelita!" Zuko breathed a deep sigh of relief at the sight of grey hair in the pale light of the sunset. The Prince hadn't stopped for anything when Lieutenant Jee told him she was here. "I thought I lost you. What happened? Where's the Avatar? Why do you have a bag? Where are we going?"

Zuko's questions fired off a million miles a minute as he joined her on the balcony. Aelita didn't dare look at him or move, her knuckles white from the death grip she had on the railing."

"Aelita?" Zuko pulled her arm and turned him to face him. Tears were falling from her golden eyes that still refused to meet his. "What's wrong? Are you hurt?" He searched her body for any obvious injuries but when he found none he pulled her close. Had seeing Zhao again so soon phased her this much. He cradled her head against his shoulder and traced small circles along the bottom of her back. "Talk to me, please. Let me take care of you."

"You can't Zuko." Aelita choked out, her voice barely above a whisper.

"What?" Zuko asked, "Why...what are they doing?" His hands fell away from his muse and the Prince saw the Avatar and his bison flying directly at his ship. He had just begun to lean over the railway to bark orders at his men when his whole world went dark.

"I'm sorry Zuko." Aelita lowered his body to the floor as he slumped against her, out cold from her quick work of his pressure points. Tears fell from her face to his as she placed a small, sad kiss gently along with his temple. It was time for her to go. "I'm so sorry."

🌊    ⛰     🔥    🌪

"Prince Zuko, wake up!"

The world around the Prince was dark and blurry but he could feel the hold on his arms shaking him, the familiar voice pulling him back to reality. What had happened? One minute he was holding Aelita and the next I saw the Avatar flying toward him. And then nothing. 

The Avatar. Zuko scrambled to his feet and found his Uncle was the only one besides him. Far off in the distance, he could barely make out the sight of the sky bison flying away. 

"Follow them!" Zuko shouted over the edge of the balcony to his crew members. He was too wrapped up in his mind to see the shock still etched upon their faces. "Uncle, what happened? Where's Aelita? Is she alright?" His concern shifted to his muse. She was crying when he found her.

"Oh, Prince Zuko." Iroh sighed and his eyes fell to the floor. He was about to break his nephew's heart. "Aelita...she..." He struggled to find the words to say.

"She what?" Zuko felt his heart catch in his throat. "Spit it out! Where is she?"

"She's gone, Prince Zuko. She left with the Avatar."