CHAPTER NINETEEN - The Club

"Me time, or just staring-at-the-wall-'cause-there's-nothing-else-to-do time?" Artemis asked.

She and Katie stood in my doorway after dinner a few nights later, Katie freshly showered and robed, Artemis wearing black skinny jeans and a silver off-the-shoulder top, her long hair woven into a loose side braid.

Monday. Reggae night at the club.

I waved them in and plucked out the earbuds, offering what I hoped was a warm smile.

Artemis flopped onto my bed, picked up the iPod. "Oboe ­concertos? Oh, honey bun. Looks like we got here just in time. Don't worry. We have a plan."

"She has a plan," Katie said. "For the record, I told her you wouldn't be into it."

"Let the woman speak for herself," Artemis said.

"But she—" 

Can't speak. 

That's what Katie almost said. She let out a breath, met my eyes. "Sorry. I didn't mean it like that."

"She knows that, Katie." Artemis plowed on. "We haven't even given her a chance to make up her own mind." She grabbed my foot, gave it a shake. "Here's the deal. We're going to Shipwreck and you're coming with us. Get dressed."

Katie laughed. "That's letting her make up her own mind?"

"It's motivational," Artemis said. "Positive thinking."

"It's a wonder you don't have a book deal."

"I'm saying. Anyway, come on. Decisions to be made." Artemis rose from the bed and attacked the closet, whipping through the hangers. She found a cute red mini with a fringed hem, one I'd worn on nights out back home. I wasn't even sure why I'd brought it, but I hadn't been thinking clearly at the time. That night, plane ticket in hand, packing was the very last thing that stood between me and my escape.

"I need a certain kind of top for this," Artemis said. "But I'm onto something here." She disappeared into Katie's room, and while she was gone, Katie filled in the silence.

"Shipwreck," she said. "The club? There's a deejay from Portland spinning tonight. Everyone's going. And it's under-over, so you don't need ID. After the club we can stop at the Black Pearl for pancakes or eggs. Late night breakfast is an after-dancing tradition. So. Um. I know you don't like going out and everything, but . . . please come?"

"No one's gonna force you to do anything," Artemis said, returning from Katie's room with a handful of wardrobe options. "I mean, other than forcing you to come with us. Once we're there, you can mope on a velvet couch all night for all I care. But I'm getting you out of this house and off this rocky-a** beach if it's the last thing I do. You feeling me?"

Katie giggled. "Annabeth doesn't swing that way. But Percy will probably take you up on that offer."

Artemis closed her eyes, sighed through her nose. "For a girl who's never been naked with a boy, you sure have a lot to say on the matter. Here, put this on." From the pile in her arms she tossed Katie a slinky, bright green number.

"That's a slip!" Katie said.

Artemis added a wide black belt. "Now it's a dress, and the color is perfect with your skin tone. And don't say you'll be cold, 'cause it's a hundred degrees in that club. Put it on, my little sex kitten."

Katie sighed, but she'd warmed up to the slip-dress idea, and changed quickly out of her robe. When it was all put together, she spun before us. "Yes or no?"

Artemis was right; Katie looked sexy. Still sweet, though, in her usual Katie way. I gave her the thumbs-up and pointed at the wooden jewelry box on my dresser, full of necklaces and earrings I never wore anymore.