CHAPTER SIXTEEN - More Than A Few Secrets

"In total defiance of American tradition, they don't do Fourth of July fireworks here," Katie said. "The Cove saves them for the Mermaid Festival. But if we were anywhere else in the US? Fireworks."

Why are we going? I asked. After weeks of turning down invitations to hang out with Katie, Artemis, and the gang, I'd finally agreed to this one, mostly because Candy had threatened to make me an herbal-lotion lab rat if I didn't leave the house tonight.

Katie shrugged. "We always go. And I've been working my butt off lately, so I need a fun night out. And anyway­"­—she grabbed my sleeve; she could sense I was about to turn back, and she held firm, kicking up her campaign—"there's a bonfire, with hot dogs and s'mores and sparklers. Sometimes people bring beer. I mean, usually they do." At my ongoing reluctance she tossed out a final bone, though with markedly less enthusiasm. "Percy and those guys will be there."

Travis? I wanted to know. Even in the twilight haze, her face brightened. I smirked and marched ahead, but she ran to catch up, linking our arms.

"One more thing. Um, Artemis? I already told her you wouldn't go for it, but she has this kind of fun but also crazy idea that the three of us should sign up for the—"

"My girls!" Artemis bolted for us as soon as she saw us cresting the last dune. Behind her they'd already gotten the bonfire going, a roaring orange blaze that the folks over at Coos Bay could probably see. "Let's get this party started, y'all!"

She handed each of us a plastic cup filled with something that smelled like peaches and burning.

I downed a few gulps, let the alcohol soak in and loosen the tension that had been building steadily since my call with Grams earlier. With Rachel.

But I knew that no matter how much I drank tonight, no matter how many hours or days passed, I wouldn't be able to erase her image from my mind. Her voice from my ears. Annabeth?

"Annabeth? Did Katie tell you about my master plan?" Artemis asked.

"She'll say no," Katie said.

"She did?"

Katie sighed. "No. But she will. That's not Annabeth's thing."

I looked at Katie. What's not?

Katie held up her drink. "This? Peach schnapps and fruit punch. Artemis calls it Texas tea."

"We're talking about the mermaid parade, Katie," Artemis said. "God, you two are, like, I don't know." She grabbed my hand, flashed her impossible-to-ignore smile. "Before you say no, we'd all be doing it together, and we'd look smoking hot and it would basically be the most fun."

It was hard not to get caught up in Artemis' current. I offered a guarded smile. "Mermaid parade," she said. "Tell her, Katie."

"Fine." Katie was ready with the full-on talking brochure. "It's all part of the festival," she said. "Friday night is the fellowship walk 'n' feast, where everyone sets up food and drink stations outside their doors, and people just walk around stuffing themselves silly."

"And fellowshipping," Artemis said. "Being neighborly and whatnot."

"Exactly," Katie said. "And drinking, too. Hence the walking thing."

"More like stumbling," Artemis said.

"Saturday is the big day. Arts-and-crafts festival, sea glass competition, parade, and then the regatta." Katie paused for a sip of Texas tea, then went on. "After all that, there's a closing party at the Black Pearl for anyone left standing. That's when they do the fireworks, right off the back docks. The parade is awesome—totally campy, but super fun. We all compete for the mermaid queen crown, but unlike the regatta, our stuff is really good-natured."