Chapter 2 - Tom

Rhian’s P.O.V

          His hand hung limply in the air, a smile broken out onto his face. I quickly gathered myself together and stuck my hand into his, shaking it firmly.

          “Yeah, it’s nice to meet you too.” I folded my arms over my chest, biting my lip nervously.

          “Erm...why are you here?” The same guy demanded.

          “Will!” Tom hissed, punching his brother’s arm.

          “I...er...well...me and my mom, we just moved here.” This was not getting any less awkward, I just want to go back home, god I ached to go for a run.

          “Oh, where’d you move from?” Tom asks, inviting me to sit on the couch beside him.

          “Uh, from Nova Scotia, in Canada. My mom was on an art tour there.” My hands were clammy and slightly shaking, I quickly sat on them, hoping no one had noticed.

          “Oh, cool. Had you lived there a long time then, in Nova Scotia?” Tom asked, looking genuinely interested.

          “Yeah, we lived there for about three and a half years, staying in one place for more than six months for once.” Tom looked confused. “You see, we’ve always moved around a lot, staying someplace for a little while and then moving on to the next ‘big adventure’” I sighed heavily.

          “Why’d you move to Plymouth then?” My breath cut short, I felt the lump rising in my throat. Nope, no way was I doing this now.

          “Mymomgrewuphere,soshewantedtocomeback.” I fibbed quickly. “Can I use your washroom?”

          “Yeah, sure, of course. It’s through that door there.” Tom pointed. I rose up from my seat, hurrying towards the bathroom. I slammed the door shut, turning the tap on, the sound of rushing water calming me down. I reached down in my pocket, my fingers dancing dangerously against the razor blade.

          “No, Rhian.” I whispered quietly. “Not here.” I got up off the floor, running my hands under the cold water to wash away those haunting feelings before going back out to join the others.

---

          “You are going down, Ben!” Will shouted, both their thumbs moving incredibly fast across their controllers.

          “Nooooo I’m gonna pulverize you!” Ben laughed evilly.

          “What are you guys playing?” I asked curiously.

          “Fifa.” Ben replied, his eyes never straying from the TV.

          “Ooh, can I play after this game?” I asked, plopping myself on the floor beside them.

          “Yeah, and if we get Tom to play we can have a tournament!” Will turned and smiled at me.

          “Nah, I’m kind of tired.” Tom groaned, slouching down beside me.

          “What, you afraid a girl is going to beat you?” I edged him on, my eyes twinkling.

          “All right, fine, I’ll play.” Tom smiles, looking deep into my eyes. “You’re going down, Matheson.”

---

          The echoes of our laughter carried up the stairs, a strong competitive edge hung in the air.