"Oh my God. Oh my God." She repeated, her eyes pinned to the wall as if she was in a trance. "I had no idea. And to think that I was almost in his claws."

I nodded slowly.

"Indeed. Do you see now why I was so worried about you and why I was so pissed at the fact that he tried to lay his finger on you again?"

"I'm so sorry I made you worry." She whispered, frozen in her seat.

I reached out my arm and grabbed her gently by the hand, pulling her in my arms so that her head rested on my shoulder. I observed how her breathing became deeper and deeper, wrapping my arms around her petite form.

"This is just so weird. I used to see him every day. I had no idea that was who he was." She sighed.

"People are complicated and rarely turn out to be who you think they are." I glided my fingertips on her shoulder, feeling her body shiver in my embrace. She hummed in agreement and snuggled even more in my arms. I felt how her mind wandered somewhere again.

"Taehyung." She opened her mouth again, faltering. I could see her mind was racing, making her feel jumpy and uneasy all of a sudden.

"Hm?" I hummed, taking her chin in my fingers and raising it towards me so that I can meet her eyes. She gulped nervously.

"What do you think would happen if Jungkook ever came back?"

My heart suddenly dropped in my stomach. My eyes widened, eyebrows raised in obvious surprise at her sudden question. I slowly pulled away from the hug, shifting my body on the couch so that I could face her.

She looked at me insistently, anticipating my answer, her eyes didn't even blink.

"I don't really know. Why do you ask this all of a sudden?" I asked carefully, my heart starting to throb vigorously against my chest.

"No reason." She mumbled as she lowered her gaze towards her lap, where she fidgeted with the edge of the shirt nervously. "I probably shouldn't have brought this up. How stupid-"

I grabbed her by the hand to calm down her fidgeting, giving her palm a light reassuring squeeze.

"You don't need to feel uncomfortable talking about this with me. I understand completely. His departure was so abrupt, that it's only natural that you have these thoughts."

"It's just that..." She bit her lip, visibly flustered by something. "It doesn't matter." She shooked her head and pinned her gaze to the ground again.

I pressed my lips into a thin line and look at her tiny form. I'd be lying if I said I didn't think about this too. Jungkook's absence hung over our heads like an intrusive ghost from the past, always creeping up between us. I couldn't blame her for thinking about him or wondering whether he'd come back someday.

Seeing her with him back in the days when they were together had always been too much for me to handle. I always kept my distance when she was around, acted coldly towards her, trying to suppress these feelings that were starting to emerge inside of me.

Jungkook's been my best friend my whole life.

I never intended for this to happen. Never in my life would I try and stand in the way of his happiness with her.

But I can't help but admit that a little part of me died each time she looked at him.

Having known Jungkook all my life, I always feared he'd hurt her, and what he did just confirmed my thoughts. He was troubled, impulsive and unpredictable. Not exactly the qualities a girl would want in her boyfriend, but Y/N seemed to calm the storms raging inside of him.