Chapter 33 (The End)

New Year's Eve

Faye had spent the next few days recovering. She had had a few nightmares, but they were to be expected after everything she had been through. She was lucky that she had her and Silas's budding relationship to focus on instead. The happiness it gave her far outweighed the trauma she had suffered by being held hostage.

The house was officially empty, and Hayes had called to tell her there was a contract on it and that they were getting far more than she had thought they would get. Faye was pleased because it eased some of her worry about how he and Alyssa would manage.

Chloe was almost like a school girl talking about Valentine. She had kept her love of him a secret for so long and now that she could talk about him the floodgates had opened. Lia was suitably impressed by Silas being a baron and also by Chloe being in love with the president of a small country. Faye had to concede that Chloe's president trumped her baron, but either way, they were all happy.

Faye was meeting Silas at Lia's and Ben's house for their party because he had an emergency at the hospital. Faye knew that emergencies were part of being in love with a doctor and she didn't mind in the least.

She had treated herself to a new dress, it was a fun 1950s style with a petticoat that rustled when she walked, and she had coupled it with low heels and a cardigan since it was a mild night. Andrea had said that it was too warm to be New Year's and it didn't feel like the holiday at all.

Faye smiled at the thought of Andrea. The girl had been with her almost constantly since she had gotten home from the hospital, and Silas had to tell she was not invited to the party, but that he and Faye would catch up with her before midnight so that they could all be together to welcome in the new year.

Faye stopped in front of Lia's and Ben's front porch, looking up the house. Its transformation was beautiful, it looked as if it was lived in once again as music and light poured out on to the porch. With a smile she climbed the steps and knocked on the door. It was thrown open by one of the nurses for the hospital who greeted her loudly over the music and then stepped aside for her to enter.

Faye wandered toward the kitchen and found Lia busily putting more hors d'oeuvres on a plate, so she grabbed a plate and started helping.

"These look great," Faye said as she popped one in her mouth.

"They do, don't they?" Lia looked at her with a grin.

"You didn't make them," Faye said by way of statement, knowing Lia would never take the time to do such a thing.

"Of course not, we had them catered." Lia placed the last cracker on the tray just in time for Ben to enter and place a kiss on her lips before carrying the tray away.

"It looks like a good turn out," Faye walked over to the fridge and pulled out a bottle of water that she knew would be there.

"Yes, surprisingly. It's amazing how many friends one has with a new number one bestseller under their belt," Lia rolled her eyes as she referred to some of the hangers on who were only friends because of Ben's success as a writer.

"It's the only reason I'm here," Faye grinned as she reached for another bite of food.

"I'm not surprised!" she responded with a smile

"What aren't you surprised about?" Chloe asked as she joined them. "It's crazy out there Lia, why did you invite so many people?"

"I didn't, they just kind of showed up," Lia growled. "Next time I'm keeping it just us." She looked at Faye. "Where's Silas?"

"He had an emergency, he said he would meet me here." Faye explained.

"You could have brought his kids," Lia offered.