Chapter 10

Faye had had a long day at the hospital, and she was relieved when she pushed through her gate into the courtyard. Home at last, her plans consisted of a nice hot meal followed by a nice hot bath and then maybe a little television. It was not an exciting life she led but it was at least relaxing at times.

She heard voices and laughter coming from Silas's open apartment door which meant that he must have guests, and she knew it wasn't Chloe since she had just left her at the hospital. She turned to lock the gate, and when she turned back around it was to find Silas closing the apartment door behind him as he crossed the courtyard towards her.

Faye had only seen him in passing the past week and she was convinced it was because she had insulted him somehow, although she was at a loss as to how.

"Faye, how was your day at the hospital?" he asked as he reached her.

"It was long, how was your day off, you were missed." Faye saw a movement at the window, and she knew they were being watched.

"By you?" he asked with an amused smile.

Faye felt a blush stain her cheeks as she realized what she said and how it sounded. "S-s-sure," she said, unable to explain that while she had missed him, all the other nurses had as well. Robin had been a nightmare, giving her the third degree, convinced that Faye knew where he was.

"Relax, I know better," he teased, watching her blush darken. "Charming," he said.

"You have visitors?" she asked, noting the movement in the window again.

"Is it that obvious?" he asked.

"I heard voices and the curtain in the window behind you keeps moving." Faye adjusted the bag on her shoulder. She didn't realize that she looked impossibly young, with her makeup-less face, hair in a ponytail, and a backpack that was too large for her.

"They're not very subtle, are they?" He laughed a low laugh that made her tummy do funny things. He seemed happy.

"Come and meet them, they want to meet you." He took her backpack from her shoulder and set it off to one side as he led the way to the apartment. Faye followed him unsure of what to expect.

When he opened the door and stood aside for her to enter, she saw two young blond teenagers, a girl and a boy, both smiling.

"You must be Faye," the young girl said, rushing forward with both of her hands outstretched.

"Faye, this is my daughter Andrea and my son Aaron. They are staying with me for a few days, I hope that is alright?" he asked.

"Yes, of course," Faye said as the girl enveloped her in a hug. She looked just like Silas, she was a big girl, not overweight, just tall and broad. Her hair was so blond it was almost white, and her eyes were grey just like her fathers.

Aaron stepped forward as Andrea stepped back, his hand held out in greeting. He was a bit more reserved than Andrea, more like Silas. He had the same blond hair and grey eyes and he was just as large as the other two.

Faye greeted them with a smile, thinking that they were beautiful and sweet tempered. She looked around the apartment and noted all the new stuff strewn about.

"They're not staying here with you, are they? There's not enough room. I would have thought a hotel." Faye didn't mean to be rude, but he had enough money to move them to a hotel for a day or two.

"I want them near me, they are young and in a strange city," Silas said, sounding very parental.

"Poppa," Andrea said as she rolled her eyes, her accent was much thicker than her fathers. "Aaron and I have traveled all over Europe and have been in plenty of strange cities," she insisted.