Chapter 7

Faye avoided Dr. DeGraff for the next few weeks. It wasn't hard to do since he either kept to the garden apartment with frequent visits from Chloe or was shadowing a doctor at the hospital. There had been a few dinners with herself, Silas, Chloe, Lia, and Ben, but she and Silas had never been alone, and Faye had always made sure to sit at the opposite end of the table well away from him.

The nurses were all agog with talk about how handsome and polite he was, there was even a rumor that he was royalty, but there was very little said about his personal life. If he had shared the information about his ex-wife and children, then the person he had shared it with was staying as closed mouth about it as Faye.

It had been a long week, but the following day was the Fourth of July and she had the day off, it had been a few years since that had happened and she had plans, granted they were solo plans since Lia and Chloe were working, but she would enjoy herself none the less.

"You're lucky to have tomorrow off," one of the new nurses named Mae said with a sigh.

"I know, I still don't quite know how that worked out, it has been years since I've had the day off." Faye smiled at the young girl. She was pretty, young, and thin with long blond hair and bright blue eyes.

Robin, one of the ICU nurses and a friend of Mae's, slid up to the desk. She wasn't part of the ER department, but she had been using Mae as a reason to hang around since Dr. DeGraff had started. She wasn't shy in expressing her interest in the man, and she had tried to corner him a time or two without success. Robin had been the same way with Dr. Evers before he had married. She was a nurse who was determined to land herself a doctor for a husband.

"How's it going today?" Robin asked with a casual smile while her eyes surveyed the department.

"He's in exam room eight, at the end of the corridor," Mae supplied with a roll of her eyes. They all knew she was referring to Dr. DeGraff.

Robin nodded, turning towards the room so she could keep her eye on the door, but she also eyed Faye curiously.

"So how is Dr. DeGraff as a tenant, Faye?" Robin asked. It was apparent that she wanted some gossip, but Faye wasn't going to discuss him. He had stated from the beginning that he wanted his privacy, and she would honor that.

"Quiet," Faye replied as she closed out the patient file she had just updated.

"You know it's a shame that we have never gotten together outside of work, we should really do that one night, maybe we could get together for drinks or something?" Robin suggested.

Thankfully, there was an emergency that was coming through the ambulance bay and the attending nurse looked out of her element, so Faye took the chance to rush and help, leaving Robin's suggestion unanswered.

The nurse was trying to help the paramedics gain control of the patient who suddenly became violent upon realizing that he was at the hospital. Each of the medics had grabbed an arm and the nurse was holding one of the man's legs while Faye managed to get ahold of the other one.

"Room seven is free," Faye instructed as they all moved in tandem to get the belligerent man to the room as quickly as possible. He was screaming foul things at Faye and the other nurse, but neither one of them took any notice as they managed to get him in the room and onto the bed with each person holding onto an appendage as if their life depended on it, which it probably did to a certain extent.

Once the patient was restrained, Faye helped get the man's clothes removed so they could look for injuries.

He had been in a car accident and, if Faye had to guess, he was probably the one who had caused the accident because of his current inebriated state.