Chapter 32

When Faye awakened for the second time it was to see Silas sitting next to her with his head bowed and his eyes closed and his stethoscope around his neck. He looked so tired and handsome. She took her time looking her fill, remembering how when she had first met him she had thought him cold and distant.

She reached over and took his hand, which was resting on the armrest of the chair, and he came awake instantly on alert, but when his eyes met hers he smiled tenderly.

"How do you feel," he asked gently as he looked at all the equipment behind her.

"Alright, a little sore in places." She studied his grey eyes. "You haven't been to sleep, have you?"

"You sound like a concerned wife," he teased, and Faye blushed. "Yes, my love, I have been back to the hotel and had a few hours of sleep early this morning." He brushed some of her hair out of her face and gave her a sweet kiss.

Faye couldn't hide the increase in her heart rate since she was hooked up to a heart monitor and he laughed softly as he pulled out his stethoscope to give her a quick check-up. She remembered the last time he had done the same thing, when she had been sick.

"Is that necessary?" Faye asked shyly.

"Yes, besides, I like to hear your strong heart, and I like knowing that I'm the one that is making it beat so quickly," he said, dropping another kiss in her lips before he settled back in his chair. "Did you and Chloe talk?" he asked, changing the subject.

"Yes, she told me about Valentine." Faye leaned her head back against the pillow. "I'm sorry I doubted you Silas, but it was hard to believe..." She stopped talking and looked away from him.

"What was hard to believe, liefje?" he encouraged.

Faye swallowed hard. "It was hard to believe that someone like you would ever really be interested in someone like me." She shrugged.

Silas didn't say anything as he tilted his head and watched her while he decided how he wanted to respond.

"I love you Faye. I loved you the moment you started talking about putting lipstick on pigs." He leaned forward and took her hand. "I have waited my entire life to find you. You are adorably beautiful inside and out, the fact that someone as kind and innocent as you lives in a world like ours astounds me, and I am honored and humbled that you are willing to give me another chance after everything that I put you through these last few months." He picked up her hand and kissed it. "I never expected to come to Savannah and meet someone like you. I came at the request of a colleague and a friend, but then I arrived here and found you, and I never wanted to leave."

Faye was crying at his gentle words. "When you were sick, I saw my chance to keep you near and I took it, it may have been selfish of me, but I couldn't help it. When everything started to fall apart for Valentine, I knew that I had gravely misjudged the situation and acted too soon."

He took a deep breath. "Loving you is as natural as breathing for me, but I know that it may not be that way for you-"

"Ohh Silas!" Faye said reaching up and wrapping her arms around his neck. "It took me a little longer to recognize that I loved you, but when I did, I knew that there would be no other for me, whether you wanted me or not."

"Liefje, you have no idea how much I want you." He kissed her and Faye felt her heart rate accelerate, she heard it on the monitor and they both started to laugh.

"How long do I have to stay here? When can I go home?" she asked, wiping away her happy tears.

"Tomorrow morning, I just want to keep an eye on your head injuries," Silas said as he pushed her hair back once more.