Chapter 30

Faye didn't know how long she had spent in the room with the gunman, but she had noticed that the patient's breathing was shallow and his pulse was weak. "He needs a surgeon, or he will die," Faye said urgently to the man pacing behind her.

He let out a cry of frustration and picked up the metal cart she had knocked over, throwing it against a wall causing Faye to duck as pieces of it broke off and went flying around the room. "That was dumb!" Faye shouted as she looked down at the man who's shallow breathing had quickened.

When her phone rang, she looked at the gunman for permission to answer it.

"Faye, are you alright?" Silas asked.

"No, not really," Faye said her voice full of outrage. "Are you here yet?"

"Yes, I'm right outside the door, can you pass the phone over to the man with the gun?" he asked calmly as if he was asking her to pass the peas.

Faye held out the phone to the man, who looked at it as if it was a snake about to bite him.

"It's the surgeon, my guess is that he would like you to let him in so he can help your friend," Faye explained, with a bite to her voice.

The man took the phone and listened to whatever it was Silas had to say, his eyes narrowing on Faye as Silas talked. A moment later the gunman grabbed her pressing the gun to her neck and telling her to open the door.

Faye could feel the cold metal against her skin and suppressed a shudder as she followed his directions and opened the door. She felt relief flood through her when she saw Silas and somehow, she knew it would all be alright, she just had to follow his lead. Silas pushed through the door quickly, his eyes raking over Faye, but his manner towards her was no different then it had always been at the hospital.

"What do we have?" he asked as the door closed behind him and he approached the patient.

Faye cleared her throat trying to forget about the metal gun barrel that was pressed against her neck as the man backed them both up against a wall. She told Silas all that she knew, and he nodded checking the patient's blood pressure and pulse.

He started to ask the patient similar questions with no response although he was making eye contact with Silas.

"I don't think he speaks English," Faye supplied and was rewarded by having her ponytail pulled hard. "You silent," the man said as he pressed the gun tighter to her neck.

Silas stayed focused on the patient and started to ask him the same questions in different languages. He eventually had success with something that sounded like an eastern European language.

After that Faye lost track of what was going on as they all three started to talk in a language that she didn't understand. Something was said that the man with the gun didn't like and he pulled Faye's hair and started to shout again.

Silas remained calm as he continued to talk to the man.

"Nurse, I am trying to talk him into allowing me to take the man to the OR, but he is insisting that whatever needs to be done be done here," Silas explained, keeping her name out of it most likely for safety purposes, she would have to remember to only call him doctor.

"That's a waste of time!" Faye insisted, trying to turn her head to look at the man, and when he wouldn't let her she elbowed him in the ribs, but he only tightened his hold.

"We can have him there in less than three minutes and they can begin to fix him, here it will be worse, here there are no instruments and no way to put him under. It very well could kill him! Do you want that, do you want to kill your friend?" she demanded, elbowing him again.

He didn't push her back and she took that as a good sign. "We want to help him, it is what we do, so let us help him!" Faye reasoned.

"Go!" The man waved his gun at Silas and then the patient. "Fix him!"

Faye tried to step forward to help, but he pulled her back, and Silas need no further encouragement as he released the break on the gurney and started to push it out of the room. The man followed him closely keeping the gun held tightly to Faye's neck. The way to the elevator had been cleared, in fact, the entire ER had been cleared, and it was eerie.

They pushed into the elevator and her eyes met Silas's as he looked up from pushing the button for the correct floor. He scanned her quickly making sure that she was holding up alright, and then he turned his attention back to the patient.

They pushed out of the elevator and onto the empty surgical ward, and it looked as if the entire wing of the hospital had been evacuated.

Then they entered a sterile operating room, and there were two other people there, Dr. Pool an anesthesiologist, and Dr. Evers. When the gunman saw them, he went berserk, throwing Faye down on the ground, causing her to hit her head once more, then he reached down and pulled her up roughly by the arm and placed her on her knees while putting the gun to the back of her head.

Faye closed her eyes and started to pray, no longer able to cope with the reality of the situation. She didn't cry or fight, she just sat quietly on her knees with her head bent, focusing on her breathing.

They quickly moved the patient onto the table and started to hook him up to the necessary equipment while Silas put on a gown, mask, and gloves.

"He's under, Dr. Pool said a few minutes later and Silas got to work while Dr. Evers played the part of the surgical nurse, handing him what he needed as he worked.

He was methodical and cool, and if Faye hadn't had a gun pressed to the back of her head, she would have enjoyed watching him work. It felt like it was taking forever, and Faye's knees and back were starting to ache from being on the cold floor, but she didn't move, instead, she thought back to when she was sick, and she had fallen asleep in Silas's arms. She did her best put herself there once more, and it had started to work until Faye heard the urgency in Silas's and Dr. Evers's voices. Then she heard the heart rhythm change on the monitor an eventually become a flatline.

They started to work the patient, but it was no use he was too broken, he had lost too much blood, and too much time had passed since the time of the shooting.

The man was upset and forgot about Faye as he rushed the table, with tears streaming down his face, speaking in a language Faye didn't understand. Faye immediately turned and crawled to the farthest corner of the room, staying as low as she could.

Before the man's despair could turn to outrage, Silas grabbed his gun and hit him over the head with it, knocking him unconscious, the entire thing seemed ridiculously easy to Faye and she started to laugh, and her laughing turned into sobbing as Silas walked toward her and picked her up.

"It's alright liefje, I have you," he said as he carried her out of the room and towards one of the recovery bays where he laid her gently on the gurney and began to examine her.

Finally, her body too overwhelmed to continue, Faye passed out and let the world slip away.